The Story of "Guss" (1979 Malibu Wagon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Also since my last posts, I changed wheels, tires, and rear springs. The rears were way too big and the previous owner had it all jacked up just to clear. That Monte I picked up had some pretty decent 14's on it so that's what I've been running on. I lowered the rear back down and I like how he sits now. A little larger rubber will eventually be used but why not run what I have first.

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Well, I was just about to bring the wagon out of storage last weekend. Good think I didn't. Stupid Minnesota!!

I'm clearly not as ambitious as some of you with your wagon projects. As long as mine drives, I'm loving it. Last summer though, my Daughter (age 4) was starting to dislike riding in it because she graduated up from a baby seat to a booster and the back seats don't have shoulder belts. I researched child restraint laws to just verify that it's ok for her to ride in her booster seat in the front. She's going to LOVE IT :mrgreen: Melt snow melt........

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
fig865 said:
Well, I was just about to bring the wagon out of storage last weekend. Good think I didn't. Stupid Minnesota!!

I'm clearly not as ambitious as some of you with your wagon projects. As long as mine drives, I'm loving it. Last summer though, my Daughter (age 4) was starting to dislike riding in it because she graduated up from a baby seat to a booster and the back seats don't have shoulder belts. I researched child restraint laws to just verify that it's ok for her to ride in her booster seat in the front. She's going to LOVE IT :mrgreen: Melt snow melt........
Yeah, I heard that the weather turned to crap up there. My wife spoke to her sister that lives in West St.Paul yesterday, and she mentioned about the crazy snow storm. Sorry to hear that. It's been in the mid 80's down here...not to rub it in or anything.
We almost moved to the Twin Cities many years back. I'm done with snow shoveling and slipping and sliding on black ice..
Don't worry, once the weather breaks, your enthusiasm will return...I guarantee it. On that note, take some pics of the car when you get it out.
Your daughter will learn to love the wagon, like many of the baby boomers back in the '50's and '60's. :wink:

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
She was loving until she could ride in a booster seat in my other vehicles but not in Guss. Now that she can use the booster AND sit in the front seat, we'll have to drive the wagon everywhere.

I'll try to get some pics of it when some snow melts. Just to update the little progress I made last summer.

JDMitch32

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 15, 2013
Good progress man and she WILL love being able to sit up front. Not sure about MN but here as long as you don't have or can turn off the Air Bags, kids can sit up front. That's why most Trucks have a way to turn off the passenger side Airbag and even if she has to be in a seat, she'll be able to see out. I always sat my Grand-Daughter in the middle up front. At 4 she should be ok. Keep the pics coming man. Where do you think we all get ideas? :D

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
It took me a while but here is a more recent pic. From this morning actually. Stupid Minnesota!

And due to my AWD Astro taking a crap on me, I've been forced to drive the wagon the last week. Figures this is the year we keep getting snow storms towards the end of April.

2013-04-23074356_zpsb69f2a4c.jpg

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Ironically, my niece sent me a pic of her car covered with snow. She's in the Twin Cities. Gotta love it. :shock:

GJR80MALIBUWAGON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2013
fig865 said:
Thanks Blake! Guss has been cruising around the cities lately as he was my daily driver up until last week. Now that I don't need to drive it every day, I'm hoping to get some more done with it.

Last thing done was replacing the rear tailgate latch handle. When I got the car, it was all busted up with the key broke off in it. It opened easily with a ratchet and 3/8" extension or a big screwdriver. Too easily :wink:

Before pic:
2011-10-26150615.jpg

After pic:
2011-10-26152149.jpg

Now I'm not too happy about the replacement one I picked up at AutoZone from their "Help" line. It fits a little sloppy and the key doesn't work in it. For $12 though, it was worth it just for a working handle. I'm not sure what to do about the key not working though. I might try exchanging it.

fig865

I have a 1980 Malibu Wagon - same color. My tailgate lock is also broken. I checked my local AutoZone and other stores
that carry the "HELP" line and have not been able to locate the replacement handle/lock. Any chance you have the HELP
part #?

Thanks
GJRMALIBU1980WAGON

GJR80MALIBUWAGON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2013
Thanks for the Dorman PN:77101 for the tailgate handle. Mine mounted same as yours - not horizontal, but it works. Key will not turn, but if I
insert the key then I can unlatch the top & bottom.

fig865

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 23, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Well, it's been a while since I've updated so here we go...

This summer has been my first in 17 years that I haven't raced stock cars. So I've had a little more time to tinker with Guss. The faithful 267 is still running fine so any motor swap thoughts were put on the back burner and I got a little accomplished with the body. Surface rust is all ground off and sealed up. Then I sprayed some satin black on the bottom half to cover all the work. Along with some steelies, dog dish's, and new tires, here is how he sits today. What do you all think?

20140712_151359_zps2a260030.jpg

20140712_151422_zpsc5a21f07.jpg

20140712_151346_zps07e3c0fb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor