Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
xitabl442 said:
I had the same idea but as a fiberglass bolt on. I posted some pics here:
I have both scoops made out of foam, getting ready to make a mold.
I'd like to see it when it's done, I had considered using steel originally.
I like these. I think your dead on, except they are too far back. They should be a hair from the leading edge of the hood. Don't even make them longer, just move them up. In that position it would look like Olds made them.

Attachments

• normal_SANY1216.JPG
    normal_SANY1216.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 995
  • normal_SANY1219.JPG
    normal_SANY1219.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 1,010
  • normal_SANY1222.JPG
    normal_SANY1222.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 986
jetsetw31 said:
xitabl442 said:
I had the same idea but as a fiberglass bolt on. I posted some pics here:
I have both scoops made out of foam, getting ready to make a mold.
I'd like to see it when it's done, I had considered using steel originally.
I like these. I think your dead on, except they are too far back. They should be a hair from the leading edge of the hood. Don't even make them longer, just move them up. In that position it would look like Olds made them.
Thanks, I'll move them forward to see how they look. I really like the way they sit at the back though. They line up with the end of the molding right now.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
xitabl442 said:
Thanks, I'll move them forward to see how they look. I really like the way they sit at the back though. They line up with the end of the molding right now.

The original scoops aren't full length, that's why I said it would look factory just off the front edge. here are some examples of how the old ones relate to the car's lines.

Since our car's hood isn't that long, the ones you made would be relatively in the same spot. Your's are that good xitabl442.

Attachments

• Oldsmobile-rallye-350_e7ad3.jpg
    Oldsmobile-rallye-350_e7ad3.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 932
  • Oldsmobile-rallye-350_d954f.jpg
    Oldsmobile-rallye-350_d954f.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 956
  • 31146360039_large.jpg
    31146360039_large.jpg
    674.1 KB · Views: 927
  • shine-hood-4780.jpg
    shine-hood-4780.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 946
I should have my patterns in primer in a couple days. I will post pics asap.

WyoKid said:
As soon as i get second hood i will have the templates made and pics on here.

i didnt think it would be this hard find a hood
Any luck finding a hood yet?
I finally got my scoop patters in primer today. I'll try to post up some pics soon.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
No luck just yet. I have been using that Car Parts site that was posted. I called quite a few of the places, some where actually sold already. im Going to have to find a hood that is farther away i guess. I have one cardboard template finished but im having a hell of a time being able to find time to work on the other.

I took some pics this morn with the primed scoops on, I'll try to post them tonite. The primer is peeling, so I may make a one-off instead of a mold.

Here's the pics of my patterns/plugs (as they are called) for my molds. They turned out to be harder to do than I thought. At this point I think I am going to make the scoops on top of these and finish them out that way. I may look into the mold idea after the restoration is a little further along. I really hoped to have it done in March, to do that I really should have it painted by the middle of January.
The pics show the scoops even to the back end of the chrome molding, and set forward a little. I think I would like them to be about two inches longer.
normal_SANY1366.JPG

normal_SANY1369.JPG

normal_SANY1373.JPG

normal_SANY1372.JPG

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
ok , So im still looking for a hood. i have use up Car-parts.com and all i am finding are cars that were crushed 7 or more years ago. i have used up craigslist aswell as all the local junk yard. i guess im just going to have to use my rusty hood after i graduate Wyotech after March or unless i find one sooner.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
WyoKid said:
i guess im just going to have to use my rusty hood after i graduate Wyotech after March or unless i find one sooner.

Or.... make a fiberglass hood from your hood. You just have to clean up and smooth out your hood. Find out the whole process from google. It's not that difficult and you'll have a part that you can make over as many times you want.
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor