W-30 Styled hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
xitabl442 said:
Here's the pics of my patterns/plugs (as they are called) for my molds. They turned out to be harder to do than I thought. At this point I think I am going to make the scoops on top of these and finish them out that way. I may look into the mold idea after the restoration is a little further along. I really hoped to have it done in March, to do that I really should have it painted by the middle of January.
The pics show the scoops even to the back end of the chrome molding, and set forward a little. I think I would like them to be about two inches longer.

Looks like a good start, I hope it turns out the way you want it.

jetsetw31 said:
WyoKid said:
i guess im just going to have to use my rusty hood after i graduate Wyotech after March or unless i find one sooner.

Or.... make a fiberglass hood from your hood. You just have to clean up and smooth out your hood. Find out the whole process from google. It's not that difficult and you'll have a part that you can make over as many times you want.
T
Even my little scoops looked like they would cost nearly $300 in materials to make molds for. I made my plugs from blue foam insulation board. It's very soft and hard to work with.
I went here for info: www.fiberglast.com

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
Finally got home to make some templates, its a 2in. rise in the front and fades to nothing at the rear trim of hood. What you guys all think?

Attachments

• 1129131356a.jpg
    1129131356a.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 543
  • 1129131356b.jpg
    1129131356b.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 582
  • downsized_1129131356.jpg
    downsized_1129131356.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 553

chevy2480

Royal Smart Person
Apr 28, 2010
williamstown nj 08094
Bodypartswarehouse sells the hood your looking for but at a 650+pricetag

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
WyoKid said:
I have looked in damn near every salvage yard and craigslist adds with in nearly a hundred miles from Blairsvile PA and am having no luck finding a second hood. Does any know who or has a stock hood that they are williing to sell, who are located around Pittsburgh, PA?

You probably found hood but on Craigs there have been several cars being parted in your area. One now (parting 85 cutlass) whole clip for $200 ofer him less (I live iN Clearfield COunty ) And I know of couple in Altoona and my area at u pulls

MR442

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2010
Back woods Central PA
WyoKid said:
ok , So im still looking for a hood. i have use up Car-parts.com and all i am finding are cars that were crushed 7 or more years ago. i have used up craigslist aswell as all the local junk yard. i guess im just going to have to use my rusty hood after i graduate Wyotech after March or unless i find one sooner.

THe big yards will have nothing No demand and rust . You will have to hit MOM and POP ones . There used to be on outside Indiana but have not been there in years .

WyoKid said:
Finally got home to make some templates, its a 2in. rise in the front and fades to nothing at the rear trim of hood. What you guys all think?
I like the side profile, but I like a shorter opening in the front. If you make the roof of the scoop look thick, I think it would look good. Keep up the work, looking forward to progress in metal.

WyoKid

Greasemonkey
Jan 24, 2013
i agree, i like the shorter opening in the front as well, i'm still curious to see what it would like with a shorter profile, i may make a couple more sets that are different heights.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
WyoKid said:

I like it. I think once blended in with the color, the 2in. will not be too noticeable.

WyoKid said:
i agree, i like the shorter opening in the front as well, i'm still curious to see what it would like with a shorter profile, i may make a couple more sets that are different heights.

If you lose too much height, you may lose it's function to catch air. Something to keep in mind.
T

I finally made some progress to show. I wanted to have them in same color primer before I posted pics, but I couldn't wait. I just noticed that my other pics were taken in November :cry:
SANY1456_zpsd0c6ab65.jpg

SANY1454_zps808ff4cf.jpg

SANY1457_zps674820c1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor