Went & did some tire kicking

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Unless they changed it back again you don't need pictures or any of that other nonsense anymore. I didn't even need to have specific collector car insurance when I did my cars. Just standard liability insurance.

Reactions: 1 user
Nov 4, 2012
Told told him I'll try my best to at least get it to the Elderton car show in July but I need to check with Penndot about getting antique plate since it already has an antique title. Hate to have to try to get four good pictures before the body work. I'm willing to pay extra to get a "personalized" one to us an older purple plate instead of the current issue.
Is it possible to still get the purple plates? They looked so much better than the stupid current ones.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Is it possible to still get the purple plates? They looked so much better than the stupid current ones.
Got one in really good shape of Fleabay. It was a later one with the white reflective paint on the numbers & already dead so it's open to be used as a personalized registration. They send the new plate & I'll use the old plate. I have a year correct yellow plate for both cars that has a "C" as the first digit/letter so I can use it for a classic registration. I found loop holes & plan to use them. Got tohave a really good friend as a retired PSP trooper who told me about this. He still uses a blue truck plate as his personalized plate. Good live registration can't be denied.

Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Got one in really good shape of Fleabay. It was a later one with the white reflective paint on the numbers & already dead so it's open to be used as a personalized registration. They send the new plate & I'll use the old plate. I have a year correct yellow plate for both cars that has a "C" as the first digit/letter so I can use it for a classic registration. I found loop holes & plan to use them. Got tohave a really good friend as a retired PSP trooper who told me about this. He still uses a blue truck plate as his personalized plate. Good live registration can't be denied.
If you want an updated one as well, one of my buddys has the PA Dare Plates he gets made from a site online that I am sure would do the purple ones as well

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
You gotta fill me in on the details of which forms to fill out. Not to hijack your thread but for those unaware, PA used to have really cool purple with white letters antique tags. Classic were white with purple. Then they went to these God-awful plates that resemble our regular-issue plates but have a picture of some random car on them. People hated them, so they took the car off and now they just say Antique or Classic but otherwise still look like standard PA plates.
ANTIQUE11.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
images.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I am in the minority as always, I wasn't a fan of the purple ones but get why people don't like the new ones as well. I had bought an 84 plate where it had the blue and yellow which I did like

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
If you want an updated one as well, one of my buddys has the PA Dare Plates he gets made from a site online that I am sure would do the purple ones as well
I got several older original "dead" plates cause I want something different than the current. I did thought about having a plate made but the wrong cop may over question it if he/she is not happy with the details. With the one I have I don't see an issue using its registration for a personalized plate.

You gotta fill me in on the details of which forms to fill out. Not to hijack your thread but for those unaware, PA used to have really cool purple with white letters antique tags. Classic were white with purple. Then they went to these God-awful plates that resemble our regular-issue plates but have a picture of some random car on them. People hated them, so they took the car off and now they just say Antique or Classic but otherwise still look like standard PA plates.
View attachment 239194 View attachment 239196 View attachment 239195
All you need to do is check the plate's registration on the Penndot site with the Personalized Registration Plate Availability Tool to see if it's dead or current. If it's dead just get the MV-11 for your antique/classic/collectible plate & use section D to apply for that registration. Now with the classic it has to have the "C" as the first regardless which limts it to 5 digits. Antique is limted to 4. Collectible is also 4 with a CV prefix. Older standard plates can be used for regular registration using MV-904 like what my trooper friend did to keep his blue/yellow truck plate. Those older special plates like full picture zoo, DARE, Flagship Niagara (the can't see at night plate) etc. can be brought back this way too. The non "C" prefix white/purple classic plate can only use this & be a yearly renew. I have thought about going year correct for the '81 going this way but I also like my zoo plate I've had since '97.

Attachments

• 1715203186309.png
    1715203186309.png
    164.6 KB · Views: 9

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
We had a father/son repair completed with Jr. learning how to replace the heater control valve. Told him it would of been easier if it was in line unlike his being on the intake. Made sure he knew what tools was needed along with thread sealer & the correct antifreeze. Had him make sure everything that needed to be removed & out of the way was done, the new hose came off with out damage, inspect the old part & compair to the new. Made sure he had the threads coated enough to seal them, reinstalled with the hose nipple in the right direction when tighten up. Explained to him about topping thing off then what to look for when we test it all. With success he completed his first automotive repair.

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
On that brake front, might be worth a thought or two to add the main line between the proportioning valve and the rear brake hose to the list of stuff to investigate. You might be looking at a full plumbing redo including the hoses, simply due to old age, rust, and internal rot and collapse.

Nick

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I got several older original "dead" plates cause I want something different than the current. I did thought about having a plate made but the wrong cop may over question it if he/she is not happy with the details. With the one I have I don't see an issue using its registration for a personalized plate.

All you need to do is check the plate's registration on the Penndot site with the Personalized Registration Plate Availability Tool to see if it's dead or current. If it's dead just get the MV-11 for your antique/classic/collectible plate & use section D to apply for that registration. Now with the classic it has to have the "C" as the first regardless which limts it to 5 digits. Antique is limted to 4. Collectible is also 4 with a CV prefix. Older standard plates can be used for regular registration using MV-904 like what my trooper friend did to keep his blue/yellow truck plate. Those older special plates like full picture zoo, DARE, Flagship Niagara (the can't see at night plate) etc. can be brought back this way too. The non "C" prefix white/purple classic plate can only use this & be a yearly renew. I have thought about going year correct for the '81 going this way but I also like my zoo plate I've had since '97.
What my buddy does is get the new plate with what he wants, which is 69 based hahaha. But then has a place online make the dare plate for him and leaves the original in the trunk. I was going to say if you want something that is available more custom you can do the same thing with getting the new plate then just have a remake of whichever you really like

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor