what to watch for buying a buick 350 long block.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
hello ,

I have a line on a Buick 350 , going to look at it Saturday morning . cannot hear it run . it's sitting on a engine stand . Only seen picture or 2 , it appears complete maybe minus a carb.

it's the old story it's was running fine when pulled, to be replaced by a big block.

as it stands now , i have no history besides it was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago ...no details on cam , etc.

as a long term goal , i been looking for an engine expecting to rebuilt that .... and found this.

i do not expect it to be plug & play

so any tips as what to look for ?

what would you pay for this mystery motor ?

thanks for your time

Dave

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Get a camera to look down the cylinders to see what the walls and tops of the pistons look like. The USB borescope cameras are cheap. The oil pump is on the front of the engine, the pump cover is easy to remove to check the wear on the cover and what shape the gears are in.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If it were me I need to get a good felling from the person I'm buying it from (not a line of BS). Look at the engine - a 10,000 mi engine should be pretty clean. Bar the engine by the crank and feel how much play is in the timing chain. If you like what you see and thinking about buying, ask to pull the oil pan and you might want to look under a rocker cover. It's already on a stand and if it's a good engine he shouldn't have a problem doing it. Check the bottom of the pan and I would pull a couple bearings and inspect(rear is last to get oil). At the same time with the pistons up you can check the cylinder walls and have a look at the camshaft. If it all looks good I would consider plug & play.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Compression test. Mount a starter, hook up a battery, crank away. 10k miles should show pretty high numbers, but consistency between cylinders is paramount. Clean internals would seal the deal for me.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
thank you all for your replies............. but the big question still is what to offer $$$.

yes it's in his way and wants it gone .

if all looks good.....i thinking start at $ 300 ....now that's canadian so it about a 6 pack american.

dave

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Sweet! Another small block buick! My situation was a bit different than yours since my 350 was in the back of a bard with fluids in it for 10 years, and everything has already pretty much been said. Check oil pump for wear, ask if you can check rod/ bearings if there is no oil in it, and the camera is a very good idea. Keep us updated! And yeah, that seems about right for a recently rebuilt motor. I got mine plus a trans (turned out to be junk, busted bellhousing mounts, but only payed 75$ for it) for 375$ USD which i think is like 550 Canadian. So that's right on track. Really bug the dude for any receipts or paperwork or at least a Cam card that he may have. For me it'd make it worth more if I knew what I was getting.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
blue buick$_27.jpg

to update this , here's the picture from the kijijji ad.

yes , it's blue ......very ford blue and now sitting in the bed of my truck.

story is it was pulled from a 68 skylark , has TRW .30 over pistons....all to be confirmed

it did come with a box of bits , quadrajet carb , starter , exhaust manifold , etc.

it appears to be clean internally

i will started checking the casting number's

oh paid $ 400 CAD.

Dave

ps. all paper work for the rebuilt was lost in a business closure , the gentleman i bought from ran a mechanic shop in the past.

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The thing I would have questioned since it only has 10,000 miles it still should be pretty clean from the original install yet he felt the need to apparently put a fresh coat of paint on it based on the fact that the hook holding is also painted blue, when people do stuff like that I feel like they are trying to hide something.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor