Wiper Motor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I put my wiper motor back in, got all the wires hooked up right but when I hit the switch all I heard is a buzzing noise. I pulled the motor off of the mount but left the wires hooked up and tried it again and then it worked fine. But when I have it all hooked up, mounted and attached to the wiper arm it just buzzes or doesnt make noise at all :wtf: The motor worked fine before and appears to work fine now just not when its all hooked up does someone have a clue as to whats going on? I wiggled all the connections/wires around, ran a jumper ground wire to the frame just to eliminate a ground problem and even tried LIGHTLY tapping on it with a hammer but nothing. Oh and I also made sure the wiper arm itself wasnt stuck. Thanks to any input.

burgundy83

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2010
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
Assuming it's the same one in my car (probably is), it's the relay that's sticking. If you pry the black plastic cover off (gently, the plastic is super brittle), it's under the green plastic cap. You've got to disassemble the board just enought to get that out, pry the green cover off and make sure there's no gunk on the contacts, there was a bunch of black sh*t all over mine. Just use fine sandpaper, straighten everything out, put it back together, and if it keeps buzzing, just wack it with your hand occasionally while turning your wipers on and off, that's what worked for me. I couldn't believe how touchy these things are.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
burgundy83 said:
Assuming it's the same one in my car (probably is), it's the relay that's sticking. If you pry the black plastic cover off (gently, the plastic is super brittle), it's under the green plastic cap. You've got to disassemble the board just enought to get that out, pry the green cover off and make sure there's no gunk on the contacts, there was a bunch of black sh*t all over mine. Just use fine sandpaper, straighten everything out, put it back together, and if it keeps buzzing, just wack it with your hand occasionally while turning your wipers on and off, that's what worked for me. I couldn't believe how touchy these things are.
Thanks for the info. Mine actually doesnt even have a plastic cover on it :shock:

Dragonist

Master Mechanic
Dec 3, 2010
Dallas, Tx
Maybe your wipers are stiff...IF that doesn't work check your grinds

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
-83MONTESS- said:
But when I have it all hooked up, mounted and attached to the wiper arm it just buzzes or doesnt make noise at all :wtf:

it has a overheat protector on it so that could be why you don't hear anything.....did you try moving the wiper arms when it was buzzing?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
-83MONTESS- said:
But when I have it all hooked up, mounted and attached to the wiper arm it just buzzes or doesnt make noise at all :wtf:

it has a overheat protector on it so that could be why you don't hear anything.....did you try moving the wiper arms when it was buzzing?
Yea I did that also. I just got done messing with it and it doesnt even buzz anymore.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
it sounds like the motor is toast, do you have another one to try?
No unfortunatley I dont but I dont understand how it could go bad when it worked perfect before and all I did was take it out to reach spedo cable (PO tucked it behind wiper motor).

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
One of the little bolts has a ground strap- check that it is still under the bolt head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor