12 bolt in a g body

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
ok so i see people with a body 12 bolts on there g bodys and i see theres aftermarket upper control arms that make it a bolt on so does that mean with these upper control arms there is no other mods that need to be done to fit these in a g body

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
For mine I cut off the factory lower brackets and welded on the new g-body brackets I bought from Currie. Here is a link to them.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestor ... px?id=1092
They are specifically for the 12 bolt. You have to move them in some so the trailing arms are not in a bind. I don't remember how much I had to move them in. I just measured how far they were spaced on the factory rear and then centered them on the 12 bolt using that same spacing . The hardest part for me was cutting the old brackets off as I don't have a torch or plasma cutter.
And I almost forgot. You have to move the coil spring bracket inward too. I cut off the ones from the 7.5 rear and welded them on the 12 bolt. If you want to buy new ones they are on the page in the above link.

That's what I did on mine, but i'm sure there is more than one way to put a 12 bolt in our cars.

rccktmn2

Greasemonkey
Mar 11, 2008
Paulding Ohio
That would depend on the 12 bolt, the A body style (cutlass, chevelle etc,) you could almost do a direct bolt in with the newer upper control arms (the upper mounts on the 12 bolt are at a different angle) the lowers should be pretty close to the same along with the spring mounts. If you have a 12 bolt from the larger car era (impala, station wagon, 4 door family car series) then I believe you have to change the spring mounts, lower control arm mounts and get the upper control arms as well.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
The 64-72 A Body car rear ends will be the best ones to use....Staw away from the Olds 12 bolts though because they aren't as strong as the chevy, pontiac rear ends.....The 12 bolts from wider cars aren't worth the hassle if you ask me....I scored a 12 bolt out of a '69 Chevelle and used these from UMIPerformance and they made the deal a true bolt in....PontiacGP did a 10 bolt swap last year and he used the 64-67 rear and had some issues, I'm sure he'll pipe up. Here's the link: http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/i ... ucts_id=77 oh yeah, your stock driveshaft will work, you just need a different rear U-Joint is all....

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
The 64-72 A Body car rear ends will be the best ones to use....Staw away from the Olds 12 bolts though because they aren't as strong as the chevy, pontiac rear ends.....The 12 bolts from wider cars aren't worth the hassle if you ask me....I scored a 12 bolt out of a '69 Chevelle and used these from UMIPerformance and they made the deal a true bolt in....PontiacGP did a 10 bolt swap last year and he used the 64-67 rear and had some issues, I'm sure he'll pipe up. Here's the link: http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/i ... ucts_id=77 oh yeah, your stock driveshaft will work, you just need a different rear U-Joint is all....

this is the answer i was looking for it seems like this is the way to go since its bolt in and a good rear end thanks everyone for there quick response

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
JBreu did you use the upper and lower control arms or just the upper and do i have to use both and what wheel backspacing is needed

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
magoo_oner said:
JBreu did you use the upper and lower control arms or just the upper and do i have to use both and what wheel backspacing is needed
I bought the kit with the uppers and lowers...I've been told that you can use the existing lower arms , but I would try and get the ones from the donar car of available......I'm running 15x8 wheels with 4.5 backspacing, prior to that I hade 15x10 with 6.5 backspacing..........

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
JBrue was right about having issues with the 64-67 version. The upper conversions from UMI do the trick but the stock lowers are an issue. The rear is narrower than the 67-72 version and the brackets on the rear for the lowers are further in towards the centre of the rear end than the G body even though the rear is 2.5" wider than the G body rear. I got the stock lowers in but the bolt is on an angle so I bought the UMI lowers and had them modify them to use a Roto Joint that compensates for the angle.

Attachments

• Lower axle1.jpg
    Lower axle1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,354

magoo_oner

Master Mechanic
Oct 19, 2010
Stockton
ok so i should be on the hunt for a 12 bolt and purchase that umi kit thanks for braking it down

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor