12 bolt rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
Been try n to decide what i wanted to do as far as a rear end for my SS right now has a tall geared one legger in it. I was hopeing to find a posi 3.73 rear end like it used to have but they are getting hard to find and also know they are weak i had a spare rear end i was gonna build that i already did the ls1 disc on it but been leaning towards playing it safe and getting the 12 bolt from a 64-67 chevelle no sense in building the weak 7.5 and risking it break and lose out on that money. the reason i was thinking bout the 12bolt rear end is right now the wheels im running require me to hav 1"1/2 spacers on each side so i i read that the 64-67 is 2" wider so that would hopefully eliminate having to run spacers? And its a stronger rear end What do you guys think?

Also my next question is can my ls1 brake swap but converted onto the 12 bolt rear ends?

Also what all do i need to do exactly to do the swap i have read i have to buy different control arms? Any info on this would be very helpful here soon the car swap meets are going to start happening and wanna see if i can score the right rear end

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
64 to 67 is 2.5" wider, I'm pretty sure the brake conversion will work cause the 10 and 12 bolt A body rear got the same brakes in the Chevlle. My 10 bolt Chevelle rear used the same drum as the G body. If you are going to use the 64 to 67 rear you'll need lower control arm with a joint on the axle side. UMI put a set with the Roto Joint together for me.

NorthWestRider

Master Mechanic
Apr 21, 2010
64 to 67 is 2.5" wider, I'm pretty sure the brake conversion will work cause the 10 and 12 bolt A body rear got the same brakes in the Chevlle. My 10 bolt Chevelle rear used the same drum as the G body. If you are going to use the 64 to 67 rear you'll need lower control arm with a joint on the axle side. UMI put a set with the Roto Joint together for me.
How bout uppers will i need special ones as well?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Just to clarify, there is no 64 12 bolt...they started in 65. Any 64 with a 12 bolt will be a swap.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
from a chevelle forum....
* 1964-67 Chevelle rear ends were manufactured by the Chevrolet Gear and Axle Division. The housing measures 53.25 inches from backing plate tobacking plate and with the brake drums in place, the total width is 60.00 inches.

* 1968-72 Chevelle rear end housings measure 58.5 inches from flange to flange, and with the brake drums in place, the total width is 62.5 inches.(Note: Other sources put the total width at 61.125" to 61.25".)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor