1936 Ford Pickup Refresh

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
While I was out of town the last couple weeks, my dad got the running boards and front fenders mounted. I went over this morning to help mount the grille. Also swapped some other rollers on and adjusted the coilovers. There is just enough room for my little finger to fit between the tire and the fender lip. It'll probably go higher in the front and lower in the back before we're all done.

Getting closer.

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
While I was out of town the last couple weeks, my dad got the running boards and front fenders mounted. I went over this morning to help mount the grille. Also swapped some other rollers on and adjusted the coilovers. There is just enough room for my little finger to fit between the tire and the fender lip. It'll probably go higher in the front and lower in the back before we're all done.

Getting closer.
"That's regulation height"
original-film-title-american-graffiti-english-title-american-graffiti-film-director-george-luc...jpg

Reactions: 5 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
We put in a few more hours today. Got the driver's side headlight mounted, front bumper, cut some clearance notches above the rear axle, wired the lights and cooling fan.
We filled it with coolant and were going to start it when we discovered the battery was weak. Put the booster on it and it fired right up. I topped off the ATF and backed it out of the shop where we let it idle for about a half hour. Then we let it cool and topped off the coolant again. This thing is an absolute b*tch to burp all the air out of.
We had to jump it again. Alternator is putting out 14.2v but the battery won't bounce back so it looks like we'll probably be returning it. Then my dad drove it a few hundred yards to get his mail. He said the idle surged a but and then it sounded like it was trying to detonate so he shut it off. When he did, it puffed back through the intake. Hmmm...curious. of course the battery was dead so we towed it back to the shop.
It'll stay on a charger all night and we'll mess with it tomorrow afternoon.

No pics.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Moving under its own power is a big milestone, obviously.

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It sure is. I'm hoping the battery is what's wigging it out right now.

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Looks like the battery is junk. It would take a surface charge up to 12.4 but just cycling the fuel pump dropped it to 10v. Since I had bought the identical battery for my wagon, we swapped it in and it cranked over fine but wouldn't start. Turned out that a connector at the coil had been bumped loose when the radiator hose was installed. Easy fix -- fired right up.
I drove it up and down the driveway a couple times. Then we just let it run for about an hour while we messed with other stuff. It's getting closer but the more we look, the more we see that needs to be done.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
It's getting closer but the more we look, the more we see that needs to be done.

" you know what, while we're in here..." :rolleyes:

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
No kidding. Luckily, we're constrained by his budget so it shouldn't get out of hand.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor