1968 SBO tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Either works for me if I win the lottery. Until then guess I’m stuck fine tuning and hoping for the best.

So can anybody do magic and tell me how to get my compression ratio without tearing the motor apart since I don’t know the type of pistons exactly and i don’t know the type of head gaskets and I’m fairly certain the heads haven’t been shaved or the block decked but not positive I do know it was bored .30

Yea current tune is absolutely terrible. So from what I gather I need to change my advance bushing to 18 the lowest I have and then basically advance engine base timing as much as possible until it’s either too hard on the starter or pings?

Also seems my vacuum advance can goes all the way to 16 at 12 inches vacuum. So I have to consider that as well.

All sound corrext

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You can run 40 base mechanical especially with a 10 degree vacuum can, probably more. It depends what rpm you want to rev it to. The Olds V8 can tolerate a lot of part throttle timing, 40 is the most I have tried for base and mechanical. Figure 64 to 68cc combustion chambers, most untouched are 68 to 70cc. I assume your heads were milled during the rebuild. Mine #6 heads had a clean up mill and are around 64 to 65cc. Figure .041" thick head gaskets with a 4.230" gasket bore, 4.087" cylinder bore with a 24cc piston dish and possibly .040" pistons to deck, which is what makes those pistons so bad, not just the huge dish. Also a 3.385" stroke. Here is the calculator I use https://uempistons.com/p-27-compression-ratio-calculator.html. With the above specs, I get 7.865 to 1 compression. I don't see you above 8 to 1, unless the block was 0 decked. Even with the .011 head gaskets and you would have to measure piston to deck, you would still be below 8.5 to 1.

Reactions: 1 user

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Wow you made my life so easy and so sad all at the same time [emoji32] thanks for the help yea I’ll have to work on the timing and report back once I have time.

• Haha

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Question what curb idle should I be shooting for or is that determined by correct timing and other changes? And where should my vacuum be considering my low compression motor [emoji24]

Also my MSD lowest advance stop is 18 so where can I get lower if I have crazy initial timing? As well I see everywhere it says 34/38 total for best performance is that correct or will the SBO low compression go into the 40s for performance or what? And how do I limit my vacuum advance now that I know I was wrong and it can actually get all the way to 16?

Thanks

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, let your vacuum advance get to 16. Start with 22 base and 18 mechanical and go from there. My 8 to 1 350 liked it. Like I said if you plan on running up past 4000 rpm, too much timing can cause high speed detonation. You will be gaining some low speed kick with the extra 6 degrees of vacuum advance, should give around 56 total part throttle, I ran 58 with more vacuum advance and less mechanical, around 48 at idle. I could only pull 18" of vacuum with the 204/214 cam, stock peanut cam could pull over 20". I set my idle around 1000 rpm in park and use manifold, not a ported source for the vacuum advance.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks you are just an absolute wealth of information. I’m very grateful

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Since I have to have such high initial timing would it be worth my while to just lock out the mechanical advance and leave the vacuum advance alone?

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
So I took the carb off while I was doing other things and looked at the primaries and secondaries

127dc9ff8ea93805b90fecd8d7328642.jpg
primary transfer slot certainly doesn’t look like a square so I’m trying to find the adjustment for that.

bb110ab5a2146b21122142baf863e896.jpg
as I thought the only adjustment listed in the manual on the base of the carb actually corresponds to the closed position of the secondaries

ad015f86b3e70300f36ad99036811b23.jpg
seems the secondaries have a transfer slot as well but see below

d4df13b4cdba910dcd5cbab492306fef.jpg

As per the tuning instructions from summit I adjusted the secondaries and wouldn’t you know it no transfer slot showing any ideas on why not or if these transfer slots are supposed to be square as well.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor