1968 SBO tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
849e1e0d296238ba0e612aa2c380dab7.jpg

Transfer slots are now square it was my fast idle screw adjustment that apparent controlled that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
These are the settings required to get a square transfer slot on the primaries.

36508b12366eabc05c501481695b223a.jpg
can’t back out the curb
Idle screw anymore or it doesn’t touch the throttle shaft sooooo.

34aa245ae9d599ede65ea844946ffa79.jpg
fast idle which is essentially all the way out to get to this point.

9fc2fd3dcc7d086e280b59e877c0bba0.jpg

That’s how far out the fast idle had to be out to get square transfer slots why is it that it takes to the limits of my adjustments to do so?

Also I’ve read the transfer slots on secondaries should only be exposed on big cams or motors where the idle mixture screws don’t really work and even then you close the primary transfer slots

So is this set up correct with square primary slots and closed secondary transfer slots.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Ok so everything with the transfer slots and idle screws look proper? Even though I can’t back them out any farther?

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Perfect. I also found measurements in my search to create my own mechanical advance stop bushing with a nut I had laying around and my grinder so that’s in too hopefully tomorrow I’ll have it running and will be able to make sure how close I got to the spec I wanted.

I also changed the springs to the 2 heavy silver because based on the timing curves in the MSD manual reducing the mechanical advance as low as I did causes it to come in pretty early no matter the springs it looks like with the 2 heavy I can expect it around 2800 rpm.

I am also switching to an adjustable throttle cable bracket because somehow I never noticed my throttle cable couldn’t travel all the way to WOT [emoji53]

Found out i have an open gasket on a dual plane manifold and it seems as though I have a fuel boiling issue so I think when I have the funds I’m going to buy a cheap thin heat isolator that also splits the planes in case that is causing me any issues unfortunately I have almost no space between the air cleaner and hood. Maybe I’ll get lucky

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Since I have to have such high initial timing would it be worth my while to just lock out the mechanical advance and leave the vacuum advance alone?

Like I said, leave it around 40 and run the full 16 degrees of vacuum advance. I am around 48 degrees total with my 9 to 1 Olds 350 and may add a couple more on my Mallory breakerless either by bumping the base timing 2 degrees or adding another couple degrees of vacuum advance or both. I had 22 base, 14 mechanical and a 30 degree vacuum can. No pinging but had bucking at low speeds. Switching to a 20 degree can, fixed it. I did notice lazier part throttle.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Ok so far I made my own 10 degree advance bushing for mechanical and then today I’ll probably time it for highest vacuum and see where that puts my initial and go from there I’m hoping for a curb idle of around 750 in gear so hopefully with that much initial I can make it work.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
That is a lot of base timing but may work just as well. I still say 20 to 22 base and 18 mechanical with the full 16 degrees of vacuum advance pulling from manifold vacuum.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
My 7.8 to 1 Olds 260 powerhouse is running around 70 degrees part throttle from what I can tell. The timing tab bolt is broke off, just eyeballing and using my dial back light. Limiting top end on it is no problem, has none:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor