1970 Olds Cutlass S Rat Rod Style

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Going to put some miles on this thing and enjoy it for now.

• Optimistic
  • Winner
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have a new PUI headliner and window sweeps sitting my kitchen. I have been waiting forever for my front seat cover and package tray to come from Summit. I have an adjustable Flexalit fan controller and 70 amp chrome 10DN alternator coming for it, stealing the Stratus fans off the 88 CSC. I am also adding cruise control. The Olds 350 with a cam swap, Sanderson shorties, 2.5" exhaust minus the tail pipes and the 2004R trans along with the aluminum wheels from the 88 CSC will go on the 70 S this fall. I will be keeping the 88 CSC, it will get the great running Olds 260 with the 2.25" dual exhaust off the 70, TH350, will keep the 3.42 open 7.5" rear and get the steelies with 215/75R14's. It should move really decent, it is good even with 2.78 gears. I will probably find a stock 2004R trans, the 88 CSC would easily get high 20's on the highway with that combo.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Rest of the parts finally shipped, more progress in the next couple of weeks.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Hey Christian, the new paint job looks great! What was your process for the new paint job? Did you paint that outside or rent a spraybooth somewhere?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Frank, I did it outside in the garage with roller and foam brush, thinned Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black with mineral spirits. The front fenders turned out the best but I scratched them, Rustoleum takes forever to cure. I did a great job on body work especially and paint turned out OK considering is was cool out and lack of light. I will be getting all panels replaced and go back to the original green eventually. First the interior, then the Olds 350 with a custom cam and 2004R. A Hurst Vmatic and 3.90 posi will round the drive train this spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Interesting process - came out great. Those are awesome cars & hope to own one dime day. Are you taking the olds 350 out of the gbody for the 1970? Still planning the Olds stroker for the 1986?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yes, Frank that 9.5 to 1 Olds 350 with ported big valve heads. Getting a custom cam similar to the cam you are running in your 403. The 70 will see the track some but it will be more of a cruiser and won't see the track when it is done. I also received the 10 DN Chrome 70 amp alternator. It had a tag proof of performance tag stating 51 amps at idle and 82 amps at cruise. That should be perfect for my dual electric fans and mildly upgraded stereo. The seat cover looks good, hopefully a nice fit, same with the package tray. The window sweeps fit Ok, redrilled the back screw hole, sat to high. The rear fit poorly and needed all but one hole redrilled and the chrome trimmed and some RTV on the back edge. I will put the 403 stroker with Procomp heads in the 88 along with a TH350 with high stall and a 9" with 3.89 gears. I have #6 heads milled with 2.05" intake valves and better springs but I think they would give perfect 9 to 1 compression with .028" head gaskets on a mid 70's Olds 350 and I will have a good performer cam lying around. Need to find one for a good back up, usually near free and in great shape. Try that with a sbc of that era, good luck. I think fiberglass parts and racing seats will be part of the plan. For now it will get an Olds 260, stock TH350 and 7.5" 3.42 open rear, kids can drive it.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, the window sweeps were less than impressive, had to ream out both rear holes on the front sweeps and rear window sweeps fit terrible, had to redrill all the holes but one and fill the gap with RTV at the top. Plus I ordered the wrong package tray the catalog was confusing, this must be a Supreme package tray. I found a place 4 hours away that has a huge catalog, will see if they have one in stock.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Planning on doing the headliner tomorrow. I will also pull the front seat to do the cover. Planning on a good cleanup. I am also planning on polishing the wheels off the 88 to go on 70. Then next weekend the motor and trans will get pulled from the 88. Since this 260 has the right linkage and bracket, I am swapping the TH350 for the 2004R. Since i need to finish paying for the custom cam for the 350, that swap can wait till next year. I decided on leaving compression at 9.5 to 1, leaving nicely ported and milled big valve #6 heads on this 76 350. The cam will be bigger but only enough to drop Octane requirement but still have near stock manners. l may do the Stratus fan swap with the adjustable controller with a built in relay with replaceable board. It also has a manual over ride which i will definitely do. I will also do a final flush on the cooling system before the 50/50 mix of deionized water and long life antifreeze. I will also be pulling the 78 cruise setup off the 88 to go on the 70 to do this winter along with fuel tank sender for a working fuel gauge. I will also do the front brake shoes. I bought for the rear since they were down to the rivets on one side. Put them on, man were they tight. Looked them up, realized they were front shoes, same size, just 1/2" wider. Either way with a 2300 flash stall, probably 2000 or so in front of the 260, a 2.74 vs a 2.52 first gear will actually pep it up even more. I will have to play with the ebrake cables since they are different on a TH400 where the 2004R sits. I also have nearly the perfect speedo gear for the 2004R with 2.78 gears. I also have the TCI vacuum lock up kit to install. Even with the shorter 25" tall with .67 OD and lock up with put 60 mph at 1500 rpm! I think 30 mpg imperial will be very possible. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor