1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
While not near as exciting as Rktpwrd's update I did score a pretty clean set of fenders off Craigslist for $100 from a roundy-round racer.

You'll be glad you bought those instead of reproduction. They will likely fit much better.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
When I bought them I only looked at what I knew was bad on mine knowing I could puzzle piece mine back together, good thing.

Driver's fender

Yep, it's a parts fender lol

Good thing is I only need the front lower part. I think the passenger side will be used whole.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Wow, yet another great build thread has managed to slip past me. Just went through the entire thing. Outstanding job you're doing.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Good morning Sunday!

Damaged fender that cam with the car. This was rusted from behind all the way down and rolling under the edge

But with a good donor...

Also buzzed up the trim holes

Done!

I'm not quite up to Donovan's level with metal work but I'm getting in my practice. I "think" that this is the last of the sheet metal welding I have to do, I am so happy!

I also had time to survey the passenger fender that was dented and tweaked now that I had a spare. After looking at the two next to each other I decided to apply some tough love to the original, who knew judicious use of force would straighten it out? Just got to break out the stud gun again and move the dent.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 9 users

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
:notworthy: I've had several Malibu's but I've never seen one rust there before. Nice repair.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Don't you have to spray it with something so that it does not reject the foreign body parts? Like undercoating or paint, perhaps?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Metal bumping. I'd like to learn how to do that more than learning to play guitar.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor