1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Good job! Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Some days I just chronicle the cleaning of parts.

Along with the rest of the car which was either raced on an Oklahoma dirt quarter mile or was an extra on the Dukes of Hazzard, the front bumper and all attached were covered in red dirt. Today we clean.

After

I'll pull of the bumper shocks and sandblast then paint plus all the crappy aluminum mounts will get aluminum paint too.

Reactions: 3 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
At least today I painted parts....

I hate the sandblaster. Really. So I whipped up some magic alkaline juice to strip the bumper shocks and 24 hours later, voila!

I'll soak the other halves today and then do an acid bath to get rid of the rust. Then onto the next part I dread, fiberglass.
I mixed up some resin. The first batch didn't set. Great. Then I spend time wiping down everything I coated with acetone just to start over. The next batch I mixed hot(why can't they make it like bondo and match a color?) and laid down some pieces to build up the area.

Then made it uglier by wrapping my build up with one big piece.

But I think it's good enough for a garage restoration. I also painted headlight buckets, header panel mounts, rear bumper filler reinforcement, bumper plates, and bolt holders.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
The pics of your "dirty" bumper made my "clean" bumper look like sh*t! LOL great job as always!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Looking good!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I love Sundays! Up and at em' early this morning and opening a couple boxes. First up was the new Speed Engineering conversion bracket hoping it will alleviate the stock truck pulley hitting the steering box, I think it will.

Next up was to finish the tabs for the header panel, drilled them out and applied another layer of resin.

Then I suit up(long sleeve T, shorts, flip flops) and break out the sandblaster to get the front bumper shocks done.

Some etch primer and then some black enamel

Then I ran to a buddies to pick up my new spoiler, bumper corner fillers, and the rear bumper filler.

Then back at the cleaning a nasty rear bumper

Then back to fiberglass on a chipped corner on the driver's side. I put some steel backer up to hold shape then slathered resin and matt on it and trimmed it out after it hardened.

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor