1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Removed all the springs/retainers/seals with a great $40 tool from Amazon then pulled the heads, this engine is clean. Now to get some valve lapping compound, install the new seals/springs/ti retainers, then move on to the block treatment.

Reactions: 5 users

Chris P. Bacon

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2017
You are a very talented guy,keep up the good work. From what I've seen your not afraid to tackle any project. Good for you !

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Another day of tearing things apart to do work but it yielded a surprise. Bought this random Craigslist 4.8 fully dressed along with a rebuilt 5.3 short block bought for $550 and while the 4.8 looked clean while tearing it down, pulling the pistons today........

And the bearings look like this, every one of them.

Looks like an extremely low mileage engine, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.

Also I etched the numbers instead of using a punch............

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
De-ringed, soaked, and cleaning one at a time.

What is not seen is piston/rod number one, the first one soaked and pulled out of the cleaner which when set on the bench promptly flopped the rod over and fell off the bench, breaking the skirt which will end up in me purchasing another 4.8 for one piston. :mad:

The bigger problem is that with a spare 4.8 I will have extra parts and time to build a forged bottom end if this one ever comes apart.......

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Maybe I'm an idiot, but can you not buy a std piston from GM?

Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Gotcha!;)

Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor