1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Time flies but I'll get this updated to current.

Two other car projects were completed all the while the Malibu languished in the corner

And I finished my Road King this year

Even added a detachable fairing with stereo and detachable tour pack for the full tour monty.

So no more excuses to not work on the Malibu again....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
So to catch this up to current.....

I added a two staqe air compressor to the garage

rebuilt my work area to gain some more space and storage

DIY crossmember

Trimmed up floor pan

The beginning of 15' i whipped up this Tip-tissorie to help with the underside

I started in on the quarter window repairs

And found a little more rust when the back window was pulled

Reactions: 4 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
So then it sat until this year. I decided I didn't want to mess with fabricating my own motor/trans mounts so I ordered them from Hooker and dropped it all back in

Then two weekends ago I decided to really get moving, a buddy and I cut the frame rails to narrow them and added a tube brace by the spring pockets

Last Saturday we bolted it back up to the Tip-tissorie which had never been tested, it was too heavy with the rear and side glass in it but......

It worked perfectly and all for under $100 in material. Sunday was spent cleaning out the wheel wells and touching up the floor welds

I also had to fix some splits at the tank mounts, I'm not sure why but all the corners were torn like that

All of this needs to get done in preparation for this

I popped for the good stuff when the 3m brushable and tube style was an extreme disappointment.

So I need to knock out the two body mounts above the rearend, both are rusted too thin to consider them a support, luckily it's just flat sheet metal and no curves.

With those done I can seam seal and then Raptor Line the floor to get it back on the frame and mounted for good.

Incoming parts for this week are new body mount bolts, 3" studs for the rearend, Buick Lucerne PS pulley, rebuilt tilt/floor shift column, and gasket plus a Speedway 22 circuit wiring harness.

Now this build is current and WILL keep moving.

Reactions: 4 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Nice work! I love the tip-tissorie...great concept, and it seems to work like a charm. Your other projects all came out very well.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
What oil pan and motor mounts did you use? Forgive my haste, I will go back and read through.

Okay, home made scratch built mounts and a baffled pan. Cool

Last edited:

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
What oil pan and motor mounts did you use? Forgive my haste, I will go back and read through.

Okay, home made scratch built mounts and a baffled pan. Cool

Actually scrapped the home built stuff, too much time for little pay off, went this route.

autokraft_oil_pan.jpg

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_...ission_mounts/ls_engine_mounts/parts/12643HKR
https://www.holley.com/products/ls_...s/ls_transmission_crossmembers/parts/12644HKR
https://www.holley.com/products/ls_power/engine_and_transmission_mounts/parts/12655HKR

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Nice. I like this build. You do good work. I love that Tip-tissorie! I may try to build my own. I'll be watching the rest of your build.

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
So parts came in this week and I keep moving forward as I have a finish date in site, Drag Week 2017 with a backup plan of October 10, 2017, one day before my 45th birthday, this will be my birthday present to myself. :evil:

Got up and finished grinding down welds from floor pan installation and sealed it all up with Corroless before I seam seal and undercoat with U-Pol Raptor liner.

I also have a spare tire delete panel from Scott Rod Fabrications I need to rivet in before I undercoat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
With those done I can seam seal and then Raptor Line the floor to get it back on the frame and mounted for good.

Incoming parts for this week are new body mount bolts, 3" studs for the rearend, Buick Lucerne PS pulley, rebuilt tilt/floor shift column, and gasket plus a Speedway 22 circuit wiring harness.

Now this build is current and WILL keep moving.

Too bad I can only hit 'Like' once per post.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor