1978 Malibu Project, 4th times a charm

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
So next up is bumper fitment and all the rest. I had to notch the back of the grille fiberglass, that was easy and I'll reinforce it later. The biggest thing was how much of the intercooler was covered up so I introduced some speed holes to the spare bumper I had. I'll go back in later behind the bumper and funnel that air into the intercooler with sheet metal.

Then we start running the intercooler piping, way more easier with all that room.

And this should work for downpipe

Brake parts came in, going manual four wheel disc

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Okay, just seeing this. Reviewing the last two pages, will do the rest when I'm home, I have some questions/comments. You're my hero with the core support. I'm looking to do the exact same thing this winter - did you buy that or fabricate it? Is it 1" DOM?

What turbo? Looks smallish. Turbo's are like vacation time - when your boss asks if you'd like an extra week of paid vacation this year, the answer is defined by more is better - same applies to turbo's. Hehe.

I'm sure I'll have some more after reviewing the first 20 some pages. Glad to see you getting back to it.
The core support is from Trick Chassis https://www.trickchassis.com/product/tubular-core-support/ high quality piece in 1" chrome moly.

Turbo is a VS Racing 7875, just something that caught my eye and should be good for a start.

Reactions: 4 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The core support is from Trick Chassis https://www.trickchassis.com/product/tubular-core-support/ high quality piece in 1" chrome moly.

Turbo is a VS Racing 7875, just something that caught my eye and should be good for a start.
I'm stuck presently on buying the Trick Chassis support or making my own - not sure on that yet. That one is minorly different than the one for a MC from comparing pics.

That turbo pic is deceiving, it doesn't look to be a 7875, but that's plenty lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
straight shot performance makes a similar one,they're both nice pieces.

Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Let's keep the updates rolling along. At some point I should probably change this thread's name to "Buy once, cry once", I always say that to my buddies that try to go too cheap and half the time I follow my own advice but after researching fuel systems this ethos became clear. In the beginning I had purchased the Spectra GN tank along with with a Racetronix GN sending unit with a Walbro 255. Great for the original NA 5.3 with no mods, not so great once the spooly boi was introduced and then thinking about E85.

After hours of contemplation, fretting, and going through the 5 stages of grief, I realized it was cheaper to build the fuel system on overkill instead of going past my goals and having to rebuild it later. I pulled the trigger and called Rick's Tanks the end of last year and splashed out for a stainless tank(didn't show up until May/June this year), billet hat, and dual 450's, then I grabbed a Kenne Bell dual Boost-A-Pump of Craigslist, that should cover the spread. Next up is fuel lines, not gonna deal with a gassy smell when they go bad, off to Summit Racing for Fragola fittings and 6000 series PTFE lines, oh we need that Aeromotive 120micron filter and Aeromotive Extreme Flow pressure regulator. Motion Raceworks got me a billet dual channel flex fuel sensor mount. That'll do pig.

This should flow some corn squeezins'

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I've heard of the boost a pump, but never used one. From reading abut them they seem to be very similar to a PWM pump such as a Magnafuel 4300 series that's driven via a solid state relay - is that accurate?

Nice tank setup. What is the tank size?

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
I've heard of the boost a pump, but never used one. From reading abut them they seem to be very similar to a PWM pump such as a Magnafuel 4300 series that's driven via a solid state relay - is that accurate?

Nice tank setup. What is the tank size?
They ramp the voltage up higher to get more out of the pumps, boosts pump voltage to 17.5v instead of 12v and increases pump gpm by 75%. Commonly used in Mustang Shelby/Hellcat crowds(bought mine from guy that pulled it off a turbo race car Mustang that was going back street), I had one on my Kenne Bell supercharged Saleen. I've got a brace of more parts coming in for Terminator X, I plan to monitor fuel pressure amongst a lot of other things.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The Term X should be able to control that pump with one of the outputs. It is relatively straight forward and fun with a 2D table. Assuming of course that is controlled like most any other variable rate fuel pump setup.

How is the Boost a Pump triggered?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor