1979 4 speed cutlass calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
The "Classic G-body Garage" has a bunch of the 305/4 speed A-body cutlasses.

He's on Facebook and I don't do facebook, but here is a Link To his Youtube Videos if you haven't already checked them out.
I saw those, he makes it appear like they're not all that hard to come by. He's got some really cool stuff.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I saw those, he makes it appear like they're not all that hard to come by. He's got some really cool stuff.

If he's 40 and still owns the same cutlass he bought when he was 16 and was into them the whole time, he was buying/locating them when they were much easier to come by. 20 years ago nobody really wanted them. Even nice, rust free '86/87 GN's/T-types were $5K-$7K back then. My 2+2 was $4,200 and it was only 10 years old.

The secret to collecting nice, rare cars is a network and he has developed that with his channel. When someone wants to sell a nice g-body, they contact him first. Back in the 1980's we'd go to car shows every weekend and countless times someone would come up to us and say "do you know anyone who wants to buy a...?"

Last edited:

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
yeah they're out there. Back in the 80's I knew several people in my small town with manual g-bodies. Including us lol. Definitely looks to be a legit stick car. What's in the shifter hole, someone weld/bolt a plate in there or something?

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I have seen the most Oldsmobiles in real life. Both SBC's and 260 cars. More of the former than latter. El Caminos are probably the most prolific as they came with a V6 and a 3 spd and a lot of those cheapie trucks float around. Of course "a lot" is relative, but My guess is its El Camino, cutlass/Malibu then Grand Prix.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
on a completely unrelated, but interesting (to me) tangent, would you measure from the front seat stud to the factory cut out? I want to compare that to my car I just put a hybrid T5 in. I think I am pretty close, but I have nothing local to verify it against. Id like to go back into the car with the short center console if possible.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
yeah they're out there. Back in the 80's I knew several people in my small town with manual g-bodies. Including us lol. Definitely looks to be a legit stick car. What's in the shifter hole, someone weld/bolt a plate in there or something?
The previous owner placed a piece of tin over the hole to help keep out critters during the down time. He was very meticulous during his tear down.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
on a completely unrelated, but interesting (to me) tangent, would you measure from the front seat stud to the factory cut out? I want to compare that to my car I just put a hybrid T5 in. I think I am pretty close, but I have nothing local to verify it against. Id like to go back into the car with the short center console if possible.
I'll be back at it tomorrow. I'll get tha measurement for you.

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
IMG_1169.JPG Here is the roof I'm dealing with. Other than that, it's a really straight and clean car.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 177

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
I haven't forgot about you, just haven't been back to the shop. I'll get you those measurements.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor