1979 4 speed cutlass calais

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I'd look for a 153 tooth flywheel for 1 piece rear main and a 10.5" clutch set with 10 spline disc.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Okay the flywheel can be had off ebay relatively cheap. What pressure plate needs to be used or are they all universal? I see the full package on RockAuto is reasonably priced. Can I buy that whole package and get a flywheel and be done with it?

you may want to check Rock Auto for the flywheel as well. Its probably as cheap as the one on Ebay or cheaper. The kit for the original application should be perfectly fine. Remember to change the pilot bearing/bushing in the crank. Its important. Don't bother paying extra for a bearing over a bushing. The only time it does anything is when the clutch is disengaged and the motor is turning. People get all in a twist about the bearing vs. the bushing, but in reality if you change it every time you do a clutch you are fine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
on a completely unrelated, but interesting (to me) tangent, would you measure from the front seat stud to the factory cut out? I want to compare that to my car I just put a hybrid T5 in. I think I am pretty close, but I have nothing local to verify it against. Id like to go back into the car with the short center console if possible.
I got that measurement for you. The shifter hole measures squarely at 4 3/8 inches, rounded on the corners. Coming off the driver's side seat mounting stud, go towards the tunnel 4 inches. From that spot measure toward the front of the car 8 3/4 inches. This location is where the driver's side back corner of the shifter hole is located. Again, that shifter hole measures 4 3/8 inches square. Hope this helps.

It looks as though GM mounted an extension on the side of the tunnel strictly to serve the purpose of the Saginaw's side mounted shift levers.

Reactions: 1 user

Csilvy2000

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2012
Texarkana, AR
Well I've worked on the roof dents and got my rear glass installed. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1183.JPG
    IMG_1183.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 157
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor