1979 Buick Regal w/Factory V6 & 4-speed???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssj71

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2008
Can someone on the board tell me more about this rarity? I have a lead on this car and want to know more about it, and if it's for real as the owner claims.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Harvey

Attachments

• IMG_2607.JPG
    IMG_2607.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 4,142
  • IMG_2609.JPG
    IMG_2609.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 12,898

SmooveG

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 25, 2009
There were a few appearently to be shipped out of the country, That's why there are parts available.
could be real.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
G body's didn't have a manual transmission, but 78-80 A bodys as shown did. I have mostly seen them in Monte's and El Cminos, they were also avalible in Regal, Cutlass, & Malibu.
Overall that is a fairly rare option.

buickestate

Greasemonkey
Nov 21, 2006
London Ontario
SmooveG said:
There were a few appearently to be shipped out of the country, That's why there are parts available.
could be real.
Funny I've seen a lot of three speed V6 malibus, lemans, some four speed V8 malibus, and two Five speed Cutlass 442's over the years that were all factory original.

so I would assume that this one is, just run the vin for it's option codes and that will tell you if it's true.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
*possible*
I'm leaning towards conversion since the plastic trim around the boot is black and not red. It should be the same as the interior.
Looks like its got the key release switch on the column, bonus! (and a point in its favor)....

Check that the backup lights work and the clutch safety switch/ignition cutout works. Check the radiator for cut/pinched cooler lines or open holes. Check for a gear indicator on the dash (should not have one!).... lotsa things you can check to see if its for real. I've never heard of any Buick with a stick, but like I said its possible. Could have been a special order or dealer optioned car. The VIN wont tell you anything about the transmission. There are probably other codes in other places but I dunno what/where they are.

You could get a 3 or 4spd stick in '79 behind a v6 from Pontiac and Chevy. AFAIK the Olds didn't get the 4 (never seen one) but got the 5spd instead.

if reasonably priced its worth it just for the stick-parts alone

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
There was a 4 speed option available on some of the '78-'80 Pontiac A bodies with the 301 Pontiac V8. I've seen some Lemans, Grand Am, and Grand Prix vehicles that had the 301/4 speed combo, but they are kind of rare. I've owned 2 of the Iraqi Malibus over the years. These cars had the Chev 229 V6 with a Saginaw 3 speed manual transmission. The black shifter boot was a standard item, and I don't believe that these shifter boots were ever colour keyed. The Buick V6 with the manual transmission is something that I've never seen, but GM did build some strange cars, so its certainly possible. See if you can find the service parts ID tag on the car (usually on the underside of the trunk lid), or a copy of the build sheet, and see if you can find the RPO code for the transmission. The transmission code will begin with the letter M. I don't remember the RPO codes for the manual transmission option, but someone here should be able to help out in that regard.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
been corrected on the olds 4-spd and after thinking about it I've seen the trim pieces both ways.... so things are definitely looking up for it :D

ssj71

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2008
Thanks for the help gang!

Car appears to be in great original shape from the pictures I have, but price is a bit too high @ $5000. Rare is always nice, but it is a 79 Regal no matter how you slice it.

Dash looks like it has 5 pods and what looks like gauges in it. Not crazy about the split bench pillowed seat, but that kind of adds to it's oddball-ness. It's also the Regal Limited, which I guess is the "plusher" version of that model.

I'm trying to get more info from the owner, and will likely go see it this weekend.

If anyone has pictures of the 79 Regal sales brochure, could you post a scan of it showing the engine options?

Thanks,
Harvey

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
I've been in Buick sales / management since 1975. While I can't document any '79 info, I have a '78 price / ordering book that may help. Standard powertrain in a '78 Regal was the 3.2 litre, 196 cu. inch V6 and floor mounted 3 speed manual trans. Options were 3.8 V6@$40, 4-speed manual trans, code MM4 @$125 and 3 speed automatic, code MX1 @$318. MX1 was required with either version of the 305 V8, 2bbl. or 4bbl. I remember stick shifts thru the '80 model year, but I don't remember any in '81 models. Buick management was pushing their V6 stick combinations through the field sales organization in order to encourage us to order the higher MPG combinations. Many a Buick District Sales or Service manager was issued a loaded up Century Limited or Regal Limited with a stick as his company car, but in the hilly terrain of Pittsburgh sales were almost nil. I can scan the pages for Century and Regal over the weekend and post them if anyone's interested.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor