1979 Buick Regal w/Factory V6 & 4-speed???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2014
There were several olds cutlass in my are that ive seen not with a 4 speed, but rather the first versions of the T5 5 spd. We thought it was a conversion but a friend dug up some literature on it. both cars v8 cars.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
There were several olds cutlass in my are that ive seen not with a 4 speed, but rather the first versions of the T5 5 spd. We thought it was a conversion but a friend dug up some literature on it. both cars v8 cars.
Yup, my pedals, clutch, and bellhousing are from one of those. It was the same 5-speed as in the Monza/Starfire/etc. with a different shifter. They were almost worthless. The Cutlass 5-speed that was in my car had to be trashed because 1st gear was completely gone, and you couldn't get parts for it anymore..... It was from an original 260V8 Cutlass.... which I drove (with an automatic) until the frame finally cracked. (!!!)

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I always heard it is a bad idea to pair a Buick 3.8 to a manual trans. The 3.8s have small and weak thrust bearings that are not designed to withstand the pressure from a clutch and would fail quickly. Perhaps that is why it seems to be a rare combo?

455'ed80Regal

Master Mechanic
Nov 3, 2010
Lincoln, MO
I wonder if the OP bought this car?

Jon shaw

n00b
Nov 13, 2015
nope non of the g-bodys came with manual transmisions out of the factory
You are wrong. I own a factory 4spd 1978 Buick Regal complete with owners manual with a how to operate your 4 speed section. You need to make GM look in the master catalog to find it. It really helps when you drive the car into the dealership with your owners manual.

Jon shaw

n00b
Nov 13, 2015
nope non of the g-bodys came with manual transmisions out of the factory
You are wrong. I own a factory 4spd 1978 Buick Regal complete with owners manual with a how to operate your 4 speed section. You need to make GM look in the master catalog to find it. It really helps when you drive the car into the dealership with your owners manual. Oh ya it came with a hurst shifter and the car was in hurst gold as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor