1979 Buick Regal w/Factory V6 & 4-speed???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
billyjack said:
I've been in Buick sales / management since 1975. While I can't document any '79 info, I have a '78 price / ordering book that may help. Standard powertrain in a '78 Regal was the 3.2 litre, 196 cu. inch V6 and floor mounted 3 speed manual trans. Options were 3.8 V6@$40, 4-speed manual trans, code MM4 @$125 and 3 speed automatic, code MX1 @$318. MX1 was required with either version of the 305 V8, 2bbl. or 4bbl. I remember stick shifts thru the '80 model year, but I don't remember any in '81 models. Buick management was pushing their V6 stick combinations through the field sales organization in order to encourage us to order the higher MPG combinations. Many a Buick District Sales or Service manager was issued a loaded up Century Limited or Regal Limited with a stick as his company car, but in the hilly terrain of Pittsburgh sales were almost nil. I can scan the pages for Century and Regal over the weekend and post them if anyone's interested.

Bill

Yes! If you want to e-mail them to me I can put them in the proper section in the photo album.... More docs is better! :D

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

Brooklands

n00b
Jan 10, 2015
Thanks BillyJack for posting the option information for the 1978 Regal. I ordered mine from Jack Jones of Jack Jones Buick in Bethlehem PA. When I told him I wanted the 4-speed, he told me it was not available. I quoted the option from an Edmunds paperback (I always used one to plan what car I was ordering back when I could only afford a few options on a barebones car) and he looked and found that it was available. I ordered the car and was pleasantly surprised to see it was a Hurst shifter on my new Regal. Jack drove the car a couple of days before letting me know it was in, and was very pleased with the 4-speed manual trans, code MM4 @$125. This is another one of the cars I wish I had been able to afford to keep. But I can confirm that the 1978 Regal was available with the V6 and a 4 on the floor.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
There was a YouTube video of a 5-speed Olds at a track somewhere. I assumed it was aftermarket. I'd like to hear more about the automotive Jackalope known as a G-body from the factory with a five-speed. I thought the T-5 did not arrive until 1983, and only in the F-bodys and S-10s. The Doug Nash 4+3 was in the Corvette in 1983 and 1984, I think. Anyone have any data?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Olds used the weaker T-50 behind the mighty Olds 260. Probably made the 260 slightly less pathetic.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
The only data I have without digging through all the old Buick info I have packed away from my years at a Buick dealer is my memory. From '78 thru '80, the 4-speed was available in the Century and Regal, but only with a V-6. V-8 models, powered by a Pontiac-built 301, were only available with a floor-mounted 3-speed. I was told that the 4-speed didn't have enough torque capability for a V-8. I know that for a fact that you could get a 4-speed in an El Camino behind a 350 in '78-'79, as I spent many miles rowing gears with my buddy's El Camino SS, so it was probably an issue with vendor supply. The three speeds, IIRC, were the same Saginaw unit used in 1/2 ton trucks but with a floor shifter, while the 4-speeds were purchased from Borg-Warner.
Late in 1980, our dealership purchased a dark green/tan cloth Century Custom 4-dr from GM Company Car Operations. it had next to no miles on it, since it was used only as a display car at the Flint Airport. A strange car for a Buick, it was optioned with a V-8 and floor shift 3-speed. It was probably assigned to the Airport display because nobody at Buick HQ in Flint who had enough tenure and status to earn a company car wanted to drive it.
It took a while to sell that one.

Bill

Doug Trahan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2014
Can someone on the board tell me more about this rarity? I have a lead on this car and want to know more about it, and if it's for real as the owner claims.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Harvey
I know for a fact the Monte Carlo did come with this option, I worked with a guy that bought one in 1980 new. It was a 4 speed.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
1979 was a good year for 4 speeds. I saw a '79 LeMans with the "Sprint" option. That was a 4 barrel 301 and 4 speed manual trans and a funky decal on the fender . Essentially that was the '79 Trans Am 301 set up. I have two 301 manual trans flywheels and both came from '79 LeMans cars, one is in my Bonnewagon right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor