1979 Chevy El Camino/ Have a question regarding Upper control Arms/

Status
Not open for further replies.

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Hello everyone here at the forum. I have a question regarding the replacement of the upper control arm bushings.Both sides are in bad shape and I need to replace them.What I would like to know is it ok to replace the bushings only or should I replace the complete upper control arms for both? I can get the complete control arms at a good price so if I have to,I can order both units.But,before I order the parts,I would like to know if its something I can do myself or does it have to be done with special tools that I might not have.
I have done a lot on this car but never anything to do with front end components.If you guys think that I am better off taking it to a front end mechanic or shop,I'll do that.Would I have to remove the control arm completely off to replace the bushings only or can it be done while in the car? Give me your opinion on the replacement of this parts. I tried to find a video on you tube on how to replace the parts but could not find anything on the Gbody.Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Mando

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Control arm bushing replacement is a big job. The control arm must be removed from the car which involves compressing the coil spring. The bushings have to be pressed in and out. If you are going to do upper bushings then if it were me, I would also do the lower bushings, upper and lower ball joints and new springs at the same time. I rebuilt my front end on my car. It is definately doable DIY but does take special tools (press, chisels, ball joint press, pickle fork, etc). If you are not a very experienced mechanic then I would suggest farming that job out.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Thank you very much Texas 82GP. I do have quite a few tools but not the ones to do this job.I think I will take your advise and farm the job out to a mechanic.We do have a very reputable front suspension repair shop here in town so I think I will have them do the job for me.They are pretty pricey but than again,they are very good and give you a good warranty.They even do the front end alignment after they replace all the parts.
Mando

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you are going to farm it out you may be able to buy the new control arms for the cost of the labor to change the bushings. Also I would start soaking the bolts with penetrating oil on the lower control arms. The bolt and the metal sleeve are unusually welded together with rust

tricrick84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 3, 2016
call and see how much that shop presses in the bushing for. its not too hard to take the uppers off. if your just doing uppers. raise car take off tire unscrew the upper ball joint from the bottom hit it with a hammer and watch your nuts lol. once the spindle falls you can unscrew the upper arms and take the bushings to get pressed in. or try and beat them in if you have the patience.

Last edited:

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I strongly recommend against removing the nut off of either balljoint and/or separating the balljoint until after the spring is safely compressed. There is a lot of energy stored up in those coil springs. Approach them with a blasé attitude and you might get hurt.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Mando,

Check out this youtube video series. While it is not a G-body this will give you a very good idea of what it takes to do the front end work. The G-body front suspension is essentially the same design. Parts 1 and 2 give you basic information on the components and how to tear the front end down. Part 3 shows you how to rebuild the control arms. If you have time watch all four parts and you will have a good idea on what you want to do on your car and how much of it you want to do yourself. It's a pretty good video series.

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I strongly recommend against removing the nut off of either balljoint and/or separating the balljoint until after the spring is safely compressed. There is a lot of energy stored up in those coil springs. Approach them with a blasé attitude and you might get hurt.

If you are just removing the upper the shock prevents the lower from dropping. I have a jack under the control arm to remove the wheel and the only thing you have to be careful with is to stop the spindle from swinging out and putting pressure on the brake flex line. I replace one of spindles this year without touching the spring. The jack under the lower table and the shock will keep the spring in place and I have 660 lbs springs up front

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Thank you guys for all your suggestions on removing the upper control arms to install new bushings.Since I had never done this before,I decided to take it and have it done by a Pro.I don't think it was too bad a price.Replaced all bushings and did the front end alignment for $175.00.Truck rides a lot better now and no more noise when running over a pot hole.
Now to my next chapter.What is the normal compression on this early version of this 350 motor.I am going to do a comp.testing on it today.For some reason,when I turn the AC on,I feel a misfire,like a leaky or stuck valve.I can feel the miss even when idling but more when I have the AC on.A friend told me yesterday to do a valve leak test but I don't have the tool to do that test.
At the tail pipe,i can hear a noise that sounds like a bad valve.This truck was probably not running for a long time so maybe I have a leaky or stuck valve.What are your suggestions on finding a bad valve.
Thanks for your help.
Mando

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
That is a great price if they replaced the upper and lower control arm bushings and did a wheel alignment for $175...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor