1979 Cutlass - all new A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.

hangar401

One Owner
Oct 3, 2019
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
I'll post some photos of this at a later date when I can, but I just got my 1979 Cutlass Calais back from getting the entire A/C system replaced with the Classic Air rotary compressor instead of using the R-4. All I can say is holy S..T what a system! I get ice cold are virtually instantly. My wife is going need a sweater it's so good. This system uses its own brackets. For the first time I am actually able to see my fuel pump and water pump! If either of these croak I will be able to replace them from above the car without messing with any of the A/C components.

I opted for the compressor with the painted black version since I didn't want it to look like I had 2 alternators under the hood. I got the Condenser from The Parts Place. This stuff was NOT CHEAP. But I am moving to South Carolina when I retire next year and A/C is a must for all year driving.

My Olds 260 F motor doesn't like it too much but that's just T/S. I note the temp creeps up to 220 when its idling for a time but it goes right back down when the car is moving, so I'll have to watch that more closely when I am stuck in traffic. I have a heavy duty aluminum radiator in it as well as a FloKooler w/p as I had problems in the distant past due to having a defective NOS radiator long ago.

Original Air touts this system as using only a 2 to 5 Horsepower drain as opposed to 12-15 with OEM stuff but we'll see about that. With 105 horses to start it would be nice to turn on the A/C on the highway and not feel like you are downshifting.
I added a trans. cooler years ago and 180 stat solved the heat problem.Now the compressor is toast

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor