1979 el camino has oil leak at Edelbrock intake bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Hell everyone here.Just wanted to see if you guys can give me an idea as what to do to stop the oil leak at the 4 center bolts of the intake.The previous owner installed a edelbrock intake and use the bolts that came with the edelbrock intake,they are not the original bolts.The other bolts don't leak oil,only the 2 center on the right and the 2 center bolts on the left of the intake.This bolts just don't look right to me.Will original bolts work ok on this edelbrock intake or do I have to use this bolts? If I can use the original bolts,would they be 3/8 by 1 inch?
If I have to use this bolts that are there now,I was thinking of using locktite on the threads and see if that works to stop the oil leak.Let me know what you guys think.Thanks for your help.
Mando

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If it is leaking around those center bolts your need to remove the intake and change the intake gaskets. Are you sure it's not the valve cover leaking?

Reactions: 1 user

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
If it is leaking around those center bolts your need to remove the intake and change the intake gaskets. Are you sure it's not the valve cover leaking?

That's a great point!

I remember back in the early 90's, my SBO 307 had what I thought was an oil leak from the intake gasket. I replaced the intake gasket which was a PITA due to all of the crap on the topside of a Gbody engine. After about a week of driving I noticed a similar puddle of oil on top of the intake!!! It turned out to be a leak from the valve cover all along!

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
No,its not the covers ,I cleaned all around the valve covers and there is no oil coming out of there.Its coming out where the bolts thread to the heads.I am wondering that maybe the bolts that are being used now are not of the same diameter as the oem bolts.
There is a washer in each bolt but still seeping out.A friend here in town said he had the same problem with his 80 Malibu and that he used permatex #2 on the 4 bolts and that after that,there were no more leaks.Another guy told me that if the person that replaced the edelbrock intake did not use the correct gasket for that intake,it would leak oil tru those bolts.
Don't know if I should try the sealer on the bolts before I remove the intake to check the gasket.
Thanks to all of you guys.
PS- The engine is a 350 short block.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
There is no oil passages in the area of any of the bolts for the intake. If it's leaking oil the oil is coming up from under the intake. It could be the wrong gasket was used or it intake is warped or the bolts were not torqued or the wrong intake was used. The newer intakes have the center bolts at a different angle than the outside bolts and some open the holes on an old intake to try to install it.

mando13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 30, 2016
Thanks for your reply.I will do a complete inspection of the intake itself and the gasket.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
On a SBC I would remove any bolts that are seeping and thoroughly clean them and then reinstall them with Ultra Black Permatex or something comparable on the threads if the bolt holes are not blind there is always a possibility that whatever is on the other side will seep through the threads.
I actually add ultra Black to all my intake bolts since it helps from galling and keeps the bolts from loosening once it cures.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I would pull the intake and inspect the gaskets. If oil is getting from the valley to the intake bolts then it could well be getting pulled into the intake ports. Make sure to carefully inspect the crush of the gasket to make sure there isn't an alignment problem. Sometimes when the heads have been milled on the combustion chamber side, it alters how the intake and head meet up, and the intake must be machined for proper fitment. If you have any doubts about the gasket crush being uniform, then install the intake dry, without gaskets and make sure the port surface of the intake is still parallel with the port surface of the cylinder head.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor