1980 Century Wagon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2008
Honolulu, HI
I just picked up my new project/parts hauler, a 1980 Buick Wagon. It was a one owner car that a racer on Maui picked up to build a 10.90 car out of. He ended up going another direction, tried for a while to sell the car, and finally gave it away for free. The only hitch is that is was on Maui, and I live in Honolulu on Oahu. I got a plane ticket over, and we just started running a superferry in between the islands, so I brought it back on there. It was about $155 total to bring it home! The car has 61K miles on it. The tailgate has been bondo'd (poorly) but the rest of the body is nice. Rust free is near impossible to find here in Hawaii! It is a 4.9 V8 for now. The car is a real cream puff, and drives like a dream. I have been a big GN guy for a while, I have access to an extra GN drivetrain. I think that'd be a real sleeper! IT'll be a little bit before I tear into that project however. I have a few projects on my plate. Right now I plan a small drop, some rims, and a little clean up work.

clean1do0.jpg

clean2fe4.jpg

I put a video of my little trip here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVhjAxfKmaA

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
looks really cool. i am starting to like the wagons more. i think i am going to look into one

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Nice looking Century- they are the hardest one to find of any of the G body wagons. I regret I had to sell my '81 Malibu wagon, I will miss it. Luckily a nice old fellow down the street bought it and really appreciates it, he put a classic plate on it and will only drive it in the summer as I did. I only ended up hanging on to the LeMans sedan over the wagon as it is in a little better condition than the Malibu was- the wagons are just so hard to find in good condition! I imagine the ocean salt rusts cars in Hawaii much like the winter road salt does here in PA.

-UT-

Apr 24, 2008
Honolulu, HI
Over here they rust from the top...a freind of mine blew a head gasket on a GN 4 years ago and parked the car in the backyard. The underneath was cherry, but the top was gone...car was not saveable.

The Century wagons are more rare? I'd never seen one before that I recall, but have no idea on the #'s. I'd love to have a Regal wagon to match the GN, but I think this'll be a real sleeper when I get done. We have lots of cocky import drivers here. They rarely mess with the GN. Most of them know what it is. It'd be fun to blow their doors off with a boring looking wagon. 8)

Here's my other Buick BTW:
gnnightts3.jpg

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Your 4.9 should be the Pontiac built 301- usually the designation GM gave it. This is a cool little V8 in itself, and had a turbo version in its day- not many like this engine, but to me its like the Olds engines or Buick engines that were in the G bodies- in other words more interesting than he run of the mill SBC.

You will be pleased that there is a lot of stuff available to hop up the 301, and not use your spare GN engine. The 301 will give a good low end torque for the wagon without the complexity of the GN V6.

-Uncletruck-

Apr 24, 2008
Honolulu, HI
Uncletruck said:
Your 4.9 should be the Pontiac built 301- usually the designation GM gave it. This is a cool little V8 in itself, and had a turbo version in its day- not many like this engine, but to me its like the Olds engines or Buick engines that were in the G bodies- in other words more interesting than he run of the mill SBC.

You will be pleased that there is a lot of stuff available to hop up the 301, and not use your spare GN engine. The 301 will give a good low end torque for the wagon without the complexity of the GN V6.

-Uncletruck-

Hmm, I had always heard they were junk with no parts available! I know a Buick 350 is a torque monster, and would fit OK, but about no chance of finding one on the Island LOL!

Thanks for the tip though, I am reseaching! I've read about the rubo Buick swaps, I have the complete engine/trans, harness, dash harness, and gauge cluster. My understanding is it is about a bolt in when you swap all that, just need a fuel pump. 8) And I know how to work on those motors.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Do it! A turbo V6 in a wagon is way cooler than building up a boat anchor 301...

Check out this months (August) issue of Hemming's Muscle Machines. There's a story on page 70 about a fellow on the east coast running 11.30's with a GN turbo V6 in an '82 Regal wagon, it's pretty cool.

229MonteHO

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2008
Liverpool, NY
Blake442 said:
Do it! A turbo V6 in a wagon is way cooler than building up a boat anchor 301...

Depends if you like a challenge. I'm the nutcase that would try to hop up the 301!LOL

That is a nice looking wagon for sure! And if it did have a Turbo 6 that would be one hell of a sleeper! I just picked up a pretty clean and straight '81 Century sedan for $450, and since I've got the 265 Pontiac mill I've decided to do something different and eventually swap in a Turbo T/A 301.

Nice ride though! Can't wait to see how it turns out! 8)

Cheers,
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor