1980 Monte Carlo No Spark Condition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
I could have sworn 1980 cars didn't have a computer. Anyway, If you haven't changed it yet try changing the distributor's pick up coil. the wires tend to go bad after years of movement.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Did you fix or change anything before this happened? What happened leading up to having no spark?

Check ground from battery to engine, usually a battery cable from the negative battery terminal to the alternator bracket; Check ground strap, usually a braided strap from the back of the head to the firewall; and strangely enough check that you have body ground, which is just a small wire from the negative battery terminal to the fender.

I mention body ground because if it's not there you may have spark but too weak to burn anything. Happened to me once.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
is the rotor turning when you crank the engine over? could be a broken timing chain/camshaft or distributor gear issue, pull the cap off have some one crank the engine and see if it turns

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
X2 on checking to see if the distributor is turning. With a new distributor, as long as the wiring to it is good you should have spark. The last time i saw of this the camshaft broke in half (Chevy) then I saw a missing pin on the distributor gear (Olds, but that was done by a shady mechanic. ). I hope thats not the case here. The motor has to come out for a broken cam.
T

Last edited:
  • Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
X2 on checking to see if the distributor is turning. With a new distributor, as long as the wiring to it is good you should have spark. The last time i saw of this the camshaft broke in half (Chevy) then I saw a missing pin on the distributor gear (Olds, but that was done by a shady mechanic. ). I hope thats not the case here. The motor has to come out for a broken cam.
T

never thought about that even though I had a camshaft break in my Pontiac 400 and it took me a bit of time trying to figure out why I had no spark

• Agree

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
Did you fix or change anything before this happened? What happened leading up to having no spark?

Check ground from battery to engine, usually a battery cable from the negative battery terminal to the alternator bracket; Check ground strap, usually a braided strap from the back of the head to the firewall; and strangely enough check that you have body ground, which is just a small wire from the negative battery terminal to the fender.

I mention body ground because if it's not there you may have spark but too weak to burn anything. Happened to me once.

Hi I did not fix or change anything before this happened it just all of a sudden happened. The rotor is turning I can confirm that. I will check all the grounds you suggested and keep you posted thanks.

kyleBblazercrazy

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Have you worked on a tachometer lately? If you ground that circuit it can damage the module and coil permenatly.

• Winner

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
Hi kyle b,

I have not worked on the tachometer. The coil and module are brand new along with distributor. There is no ignition fuse

jessedukhia

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2014
Ok guys I figured it out. Un-Plugged tachometer from distributor and it fired right up. I read somewhere maybe the tachometer filter is faulty and isn't really needed. Thanks guys for all your help especially Kyleblazercrazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor