1980 Monte Carlo quarter panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuckeyeNewYorker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2020
Hi everybody. So I hydroplaned on the highway during a flash rain about a year ago and did some light damage to my G body...

20210912_171904.jpg
20210912_182540.jpg

20220713_135800.jpg

I have everything I need to fix the front end. The frame is slightly slightly tweaked on the passenger side, where the bumper attaches.

However, I put a sizeable dent in the right rear quarter panel area. I've been looking for skins to fix it but all I can find are the 81-88 style quarter panels. It's annoying because they're like 200$ but the only ones I can find for this one on ebay are like 800-1200$.

Does anyone know where I can find a 78-80 rear RH quarter panel for a reasonable price? Or should I just work with what I've got?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hi everybody. So I hydroplaned on the highway during a flash rain about a year ago and did some light damage to my G body...

View attachment 205592 View attachment 205593
View attachment 205594

I have everything I need to fix the front end. The frame is slightly slightly tweaked on the passenger side, where the bumper attaches.

However, I put a sizeable dent in the right rear quarter panel area. I've been looking for skins to fix it but all I can find are the 81-88 style quarter panels. It's annoying because they're like 200$ but the only ones I can find for this one on ebay are like 800-1200$.

Does anyone know where I can find a 78-80 rear RH quarter panel for a reasonable price? Or should I just work with what I've got?
Anytime you can work with what you've got its better. When you replace you don't just swap the piece, you've got to spend countless hours tweaking everything it needs to line up with thay may have stressed, deformed, or tweaked through the years.

Plus, new metal is crap quality.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Looking at the angle of the damage in your last picture you should be able to get at the damaged area from the backside and work it out. I did rust repair on my parts car many years back and had access to the all but the area directly above the wheel tub. I would attempt to straighten what is there.
Just my $.02

BuckeyeNewYorker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 27, 2020
Looking at the angle of the damage in your last picture you should be able to get at the damaged area from the backside and work it out. I did rust repair on my parts car many years back and had access to the all but the area directly above the wheel tub. I would attempt to straighten what is there.
Just my $.02

So considering I learned how to do everything I know how to do through youtube and friends, do you think it's something I should spend the time to do myself? or send it to a body shop? If I even attempt to touch this job I'm gonna have to do a lot of learning beforehand

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
So considering I learned how to do everything I know how to do through youtube and friends, do you think it's something I should spend the time to do myself? or send it to a body shop? If I even attempt to touch this job I'm gonna have to do a lot of learning beforehand
Whelp.... it's hard to tell the depth of what you've got and the sharpness of the crease on my phone here.

But...

I'd get a quick quote from a paintless dent guy on something like that because anything you do yourself, assuming you've got the spoons and dollies to do it right, is going to be tricky on a repaint without going into adjacent panels.

If the price seems absurd you can think about it. But, you were just talking about hanging a new quarter panel on there so I'd think if you can handle that, you can handle the dent. Just don't leave any sharp strikes, that's where the curved spoons and such come in so you don't leave outward protrusions in the metal

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor