1980 Olds Cutlass 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Care to explain?

I don't live in Katy, probably never will visit there, nor deal with this group, but I think a little explanation is in order?

-Gonz

Aah, looking back on the OP post it seems they are suggesting swapping to a Holley and not an Edelbrock....My bad. For that application though I would still keep the Q jet over any Holley for best overall performance and fuel mileage. Suggesting a swap to the Holley may be financially motivated and is unnecessary in my opinion ;)

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Aah, looking back on the OP post it seems they are suggesting swapping to a Holley and not an Edelbrock....My bad. For that application though I would still keep the Q jet over any Holley for best overall performance and fuel mileage. Suggesting a swap to the Holley may be financially motivated and is unnecessary in my opinion ;)
I think the comment was asking for more information on why to avoid the shop. I do know an ROP member in the Austin area that had been burned enough he sent his BBO to Rochester to let Oldsmobile Whisperer, Bill Travato bless it.

Reactions: 1 users

TDY442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2018
Katy, Texas
Great feedback from many & much appreciated......just to be clear, I'm not looking for a wholesale change, just trying to let the 350 breath better. Will likely change intake, carb & exhaust in additon to shedding the emissions components.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What stall torque converter do the 79 and 80 have? I thought they had 2000 stall units but that might be internet BS as well. A 2000+ stall will help it launch better along with the other mods.

TomDisab

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2016
my opinion. keep it stock. There isn't huge collector interest in the '78 to '80 cars but there is a guy out there who want's one exactly the way it came from the factory, believe me. And he'll pay you for it just not mega money. So if you want it to go to a new home, find that guy and keep it as it is. best of luck

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some feedback.

I have a 1980 Olds Cutlass 442 W-30 that I bought new from Dale Baker Oldsmobile in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1980. I moved & drove it to Texas in 1982 and eventually took it off the road (1984) at 23,*** miles , it now has 25,*** miles. In 1980 GM produced 354 in White & Gold (about same # in Black & Gold).....not sure how many had T-tops (mine does). Over the last 20 or so years I have casually considered searching out a collector that would like to add this gem to their line-up, but never pulled the trigger. My now 30 yr old son has a real interest in it so I will likely just keep it.

Because Auto Manufacturers had the EPA stepping on their heads in this era, my 442 is loaded up with all the emissions BS and came with a paltry 170 hp @ 3800 RPM and 275 torque @ 2000 RPM. I have already extracted the catalytic converter and no longer have a belt running the air pump. I have been in preliminary conversation with a very well known auto performance group in Katy, Texas that feels like they can "open up" my L34 350 by totally extracting the emisisons components, along with replacing the factory Rockchester carburetor with a Holley, adding dual exhaust and replacing some of the ignition components. I'm not listing the enhancements in great detail as the specifics would be documented once I leave my vehicle with them for an assessment, feedback & quote.

It is important to point out why I'm even considering moving from all original to minor modifications. After watching Mecum auctions for years and doing some research, there doesn't seem to be a market for this particular vehicle, possibly due to there being so few that owners are holding them. So I thought why not have a little more fun with it for car shows & Sunday drives. I would obviously hang onto the handful of parts that would be removed.

Any insight or feedback would be greatly appeciated.
Welcome to the site. That is a great looking car. My first g body was a Cutlass so I've always been a Cutlass fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor