1980 Olds Cutlass 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Welcome, and interesting car! I'm not usually a purist but your 442 has me a bit conflicted. As long as you hang on to the parts you remove and don't cut anything, rock on with yo bad self.
Several other guys have already mentioned the bullet points. Beyond the restrictive cat, your emissions parts aren't really killing power, believe it or not. Dual exhaust will definitely help, as will a bit more aggressive timing curve. You're also working with some fairly restrictive heads and low-ish compression. Not sure what cam specs are but I'd imagine it's not too aggressive. So I guess the real question is, how far down the rabbit hold do you want to go?

FWIW, biggest performance bang for the buck with almost all Gbodys is better gearing.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Great feedback on intake & carb. Here is a copy/paste on the drivetrain......Turbo-Hydromatic 350 Transmission (Code "LJ", special W-30 application). Code "AB" non-locking 2.73 rear axle.

Lastly, it does have a factory sway bar and I will replace the shocks when I get new rubber, the current tires are 30 year old.

I thought mine were bad Date Coded 1994! (Replacements just arrived today, a day early!)

My goal is push up the HP some but nothing radical and will for sure keep what little we take off....thanks!

I am of the same opinion... push the power up just a little, but nothing radical.. Letting it breathe is exactly that without breaking the wallet. Anything beyond that, you're looking at heads and cam, which is where the bucks start piling up.

Gears in the rear will definitely help. I always enjoyed 3.73's, but I only ran them with a TH350 behind a 400 (slightly modified) in my 78 Trans Am. The only thing I didnt like about it was the RPM's at highway+ speeds.. Never ran 3.73's with a 4 Speed 200R4 like I have now, so I think I'm going to stick with 3.73's when I do that some time down the road, or if I hit the craigslist jackpot and fine a rear end thats already 3.73 Posi/Locking for a G-Body.. We can all dream, right? :D

Stock is where the value is at, obviously.. In my opinion (and I'm definitely no purist) removing the emissions wouldn't necessarily be a "its not stock anymore" thing..

Best thing about letting it breathe is its all bolt-on stuff.. Good father/son kinda gig..

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Love the car. Try to educate yourself on the emissions, the CCC is a great carbureter when it is right, etc. Lots of great info here. You can build a mostly stock as anyone will ever know 350/403, keep the CCC, pass a sniff, that performs quite well. You can surprisingly even build a mild big block that will also run off the ECM and slightly modified CCC, pass a sniff too, and be up in the 450HP/550LbFt. range.

If I ever get mine back on the road, when we all meet for our group hug, I'll even prove it . . . though it seems like that is never ever going to happen.
But, I promise, it does only "seem" that way . . . :popcorn:

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Does this car actually have the CCC system?

Do the 80 442's have the his and hers shifter like the 79 HO's?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Does this car actually have the CCC system?

Do the 80 442's have the his and hers shifter like the 79 HO's?
1) No. 2) No. Interior looks mostly identical as an H/O with the exception of color choices (I think the 80 interior also came in black. I believe the 79 H/O had only tan), sewing and material pattern, the dual gate is not included, and 442 on the doors. Oh, and the 80 steery wheel is a 3 spoke job that looks cool as hell. I kinda like the 80 442 interior better than the H/O by a slight margin.

Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
There's no replacement for displacement; put a 403 in and slide the OG mill into a corner. And, put some peppier gears out back.
That motor should have came in the 79 H/O, not sure why Olds didn't put it in there, maybe the Firebird line ate up the extras? It would have ran faster than mid 16's with a 403.

• Agree

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Is mid 16's all those ran? Hell, my bone stock 305 does that. Lame.

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
you have great taste in cars ha ha. I also have a black and gold 1980 442 will very interesting to see what the future hold for your car good luck Jeff from Winnipeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor