1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon - G-T-faux (stuck with it, and can't shake it... like a bad case of herpes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hahahaha....be careful out there. :lol:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Wet sanded it all last night with 220 grit before heading to bed... had a b*tch of a time falling asleep due to the anticipation of spraying it (in my younger years I would work for days straight without sleep to complete a project (think Friday afternoon to Sunday night because I had to drive the car to work on Monday morning)).

I pre-heated the coating in hot water for about half an hour to get the flow rate up (same theory as Plastidip) due to the high solids in the can. The stuff sprayed well but would start to sputter around the 1/4 to 1/2 can mark, which created a few small globs of coating - I poked at them with a dental pick to try and break them up. Hopefully they settle down some more as the solvents flash off. Also, the can say explicitly not to use on a humid day, but doesn't offer a range on the RH%; it is raining here and has been all week humidity is showing 75% outside. The garage is also around 21-22*C and feels very dry inside. We'll just have to wait and see...

Attachments

• wetsanded.jpg
    wetsanded.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 688
  • inhotwater.jpg
    inhotwater.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 671
  • coated.jpg
    coated.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 673
Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mike,
I assume the truck bed coating has texture to it when applied? It looks great in the picture. I'm sure all that work will payoff in the end. I can relate to the anxiety of completing a project.
Sometimes you're so wound up, it takes a while before you're able to get on the slumberland express.. The ole brain is working overtime.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Thanks, gents! I am satisfied with the result... and have to keep reminding myself that this is a driver, not a show car.

Longroof79 said:
I assume the truck bed coating has texture to it when applied?

I can relate to the anxiety of completing a project. Sometimes you're so wound up, it takes a while before you're able to get on the slumberland express.. The ole brain is working overtime.

Yes it has a very fine texture by comparison to a rolled bedliner. The semi-gloss look of it shouldn't need a top coat of black... the only advantage that would serve is to soften the texture. I'll look at it again tomorrow and decide if I am going to top coat it.

As for brainy people having difficulty turning of their minds in bed - the other night I came to bed late and accidentally disturbed my wife. She woke up and asked: "how is it going in the garage?", and I explained the level of work I was putting in. She then proceeds to say to me: "speaking of heavy workloads... isn't the Army starting you on that 10 month long course next month?"

:shock: :wtf: :blam:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I needed a (mental) break from working on the wagon so I built this for our Daughter...

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 549
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 554
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 548
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 563
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 554

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
PS. we've had the wagon for just over a year and it still doesn't run... think I keep getting distracted? :rofl:

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 545
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 542

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
And the dash is back in... finally. Now to build a shifter mount.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 529
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 506
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 498
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 503
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 499
Reactions: 1 user

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Nice choice with the gauges. They're a good match to the dash. Thanks for not using white faced Auto Meter! :lol:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The dash came out great, Mike.
Looks really cool with the new gauges.

Your daughter is a cutie. I could see who the next motorhead in the family is. :lol:
Is that little Hemi engine a runner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor