1980 Pontiac LeMans Station Wagon - G-T-faux (stuck with it, and can't shake it... like a bad case of herpes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Nice super duty rear right there!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
liquidh8 said:
Nice super duty rear right there!

We are going to start budgeting for it...

In other news: we have POWA!

I went through and managed to test nearly every system in the car:

Interior
- Gauges (back lighting and main power);
- Dash accessory lighting (turn signals, hi-beam, seat belt etc.; still pending cruise control and SES);
- HVAC (all speeds of blower motor (A/C compressor engagement pending);
- Radio (Amps and speakers (F+R) - hit pretty hard on normal settings and the gains not turned up);
- Accessory lighting (under dash LEDs, lighted rearview mirror, dome light; LED third brake light still pending fabrication);
- Power door mirrors (currently fitted for and not equipped - but they work); and
- Nitrous (main power, purge, MSD window switch, and bottle heater).

Exterior
- Starter (purple wire (remote car starter pending);
- Underhood light (orange wire... need the mercury switch/light assembly);
- Delay wipers (working, pisser pump too);
- Headlights, turn signals and running/parking lamps;
- Brake lights;
- Reverse lights (pending validation);
- Shifter (neutral safety switch - pending requirement if the mechanical lock in the column doesn't work with the remote car starter); and
- Fuel pump (power and signal still pending - might build a hotwire to bump up the Walbro 340).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 531
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 545
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 527
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 523
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 512

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Here you can see the difference in the holes for the delay wiper motor vs. the two speed unit. I purposely knocked out the outermost upper nut to make room for a larger nut/bolt combo. Reason being that the early cars use smaller bolts, and that just didn't sit right with me - the bottommost bolt remains to ease installation; however, I believe this small bolt/nut could be retained if so desired.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    213.8 KB · Views: 506

liquidh8

Comic Book Super Hero
Looking good.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The dash looks great, Mike. The gauges look right at home there. Did you use a later type wiper motor? I remember when I installed the later delay motor, one of the mounting bolts didn't line up. I also had to drill an additional hole.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
liquidh8 said:
Looking good.

Thanks!

Longroof79 said:
The dash looks great, Mike. The gauges look right at home there. Did you use a later type wiper motor? I remember when I installed the later delay motor, one of the mounting bolts didn't line up. I also had to drill an additional hole.

And thank you too! I am really happy with the way the gauges are turning out; I am also having a blast playing with the stereo. LOL!

The wiper motor is out of my '87 MCSS, so like you I had to drill that extra hole. I just wanted to show what needed to be done to fit it - which isn't much. I will recommend that whomever tries this removes the plastic fender-liner and the wheel to gain straight access to the mounting flange. Just my two Canadian cents...

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I assume you also replaced the column for a later type tilt unit which has the stalk mounted wiper switch. Hopefully, it came with a delay switch to work compatibly with your delay wiper motor.
Mine uses an '85 Monte SS column with an '84-85 H/O wiper motor.

Drilling that one additional hole was alittle awkward without removing the fender well. :?

Wiring up your new gauges, were you able to use the existing harness and plug system eliminating the factory gauges and printed circuits?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Longroof79 said:
I assume you also replaced the column for a later type tilt unit which has the stalk mounted wiper switch. Hopefully, it came with a delay switch to work compatibly with your delay wiper motor.
Mine uses an '85 Monte SS column with an '84-85 H/O wiper motor.

Drilling that one additional hole was alittle awkward without removing the fender well. :?

Wiring up your new gauges, were you able to use the existing harness and plug system eliminating the factory gauges and printed circuits?

Everything I am using is coming out of my '87 MCSS including the column. I feel bad for raping my baby (first car), but it is going to be resurrected right after the wagon is done.

As for the gauge wiring, what I did was repin the connector to do what I wanted it to do. If you look at this pic you can faintly see the difference between the factory pinout and mine on the two pieces of paper laid out on the table:

download/file.php?id=33891&mode=view

The gauges are completely standalone from the factory wiring less lighting and grounds. I retained the oil, water, fuel level, etc wiring as those circuits are free pass throughs to the engine compartment; but, they are no longer required for the SpeedHut gauges. I hope that answers your question.

Now to and start fixing the dash cracks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor