1981 Elco 305 - 2 cylinders not firing

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
how many miles on the engine?
i have no idea. ive only had the car going on 2 years and the previous owner did not know.
Does it pop through the carb when you rev the engine in park or neutral?
it does not pop while in park. i havent tried in neutral.
after performing a compression test, and finding low compression. the next step in diagnosing your concern is to perform a cylinder leak down test to determine where the compression is going.
popping back through the carb usually indicates valve train issues, burned valves, sticky valve stems or lifters. while flat cam would give low compression, it would not cause popping back.
mmo or gm crank case cleaner may clean up the rings and give better compression, it would not address the popping back. it may help with sticking lifters depending on where the lifters are sticking.
adding zinc at this point would be a waste of money.
i added half a can of seafoam to the carb while at high rpms. shut the engine off for 10 minutes then turned it back on and reved the engine up again until smoke stopped. i can now floor it even more before carb starts popping. it got better. i'll run another compression test in a bit. waiting for car too cool down so i dont burn myself up trying to get the #7 plug out lol.

fellas, this car is a hoopty put together with junkyard parts. im not afraid to try some weird stuff to it, long as im not throwing crazy money at it. thanks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
on the bad cyinders remove the plugs and pump air into the cylinder, with the valve covers removed you'll hear the air escaping the valve if it 's a valve or you'll hear the air escaping the crankcase if it's rings

Reactions: 3 users

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
on the bad cyinders remove the plugs and pump air into the cylinder, with the valve covers removed you'll hear the air escaping the valve if it 's a valve or you'll hear the air escaping the crankcase if it's rings
I didn't know i had to remove the valve cover. I removed the oil cap and tried to hear from there. I don't know exactly what air running through the engine sounds like but if i had to guess it sounded like air was filling in the oil pan. I dont know how far up or down my piston was prior to doing this (if that even matters)

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
How old is the gas? Stale gas gums up the valves and causes backfires. Ask me how I know.....

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
How old is the gas? Stale gas gums up the valves and causes backfires. Ask me how I know.....
Gas is new. Just topped off last week. Regular unleaded. I really have no clue how the previous owner had this car. He had it parked when i bought it. He thought his transmission went out so i had it towed to my place. After checking it out i found the transmission lines were busted. Always ran like crap since i got it.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Sounds like you’re not running zinc in your oil and the camshaft went bye-bye
I think there's a high chance that is what the problem is.

Doesn't even necessarily mean he was running oil without zinc either. This was a common occurance even before they removed the zinc from oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor