1981 Malibu Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice job, Rodney!
When I did mine, I got a little overzealous with the grinding wheel and burrs. Therefore needing the filler to fill a few gouges, etc. It still turned out okay, regardless.

Keep up the good work. I think your car will turn out awesome. I have a good feeling. :wink:

Longroof79 said:
Nice job, Rodney!
When I did mine, I got a little overzealous with the grinding wheel and burrs. Therefore needing the filler to fill a few gouges, etc. It still turned out okay, regardless.

Keep up the good work. I think your car will turn out awesome. I have a good feeling. :wink:

Thanks Jack!! That's my goal! I can't wait to get all of this paint out of the way and get a full interior back in the car. Then onto things a little more fun for me. Like stabbing in an engine and fabing up the turbo piping!

Pretty happy with the way it turned out. This car is my first attempt at body work of any kind.

If that's your first attempt at body work you missed your calling! I'd say you have a very good grasp of what needs to happen and the talent to make it happen. The paint guys always get the glory but it's the body guys that make the car straight. ... Damn, I wish it was that easy for me. Car looks great, can't even imagine how you would do on a rustfree Arizona body car. ...

Scott, ... :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :shock:

rodneypierce said:
And DONE! Looks good enough for this guy! Any small imperfections left will come out of it once I lay down the 4 or 5 coats of 2k primer. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. This car is my first attempt at body work of any kind

Nice job, I assume you have done some metalworks before this Project? :wink:

I've had a cutlass and a few elcos but always wanted a 'bu. Subscribed, going to be a killer car when you're done.

PGLM said:
rodneypierce said:
And DONE! Looks good enough for this guy! Any small imperfections left will come out of it once I lay down the 4 or 5 coats of 2k primer. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. This car is my first attempt at body work of any kind

Nice job, I assume you have done some metalworks before this Project? :wink:

Yes sir, I have worked for a few fabrication operations in the past. But nothing to serious. Mostly self taught. I find at least for me, 80% of it is getting over the mental (scared) hurdle. After that is out of the way the other 20% comes fairly easy.

And the build will slow down a little bit from here on out. Im back to work now after the holidays, and wont have a whole lot of time to work on the project. I dont plan to spend a whole lot of money on the car here this coming year. Next year though its on like donkey kong.

I do plan to spray paint here in the not so distant future, but after that things will slow back down again for a while. Ill keep you guys posted with pictures and whatnot.

I did score both of the quarter windows, and all of the trim that I needed for the "new" pillar setup though! Should be here by weeks end.

Alright, did a little more work today. Took the a/c / heater box out and getting the firewall ready for paint as well. I think I might end up doing a frame off here, as I have some brackets and stiffeners to weld on the chassis/suspension mounting points. I also started to peel out the old seam sealer, and will reseal it with some new brushable seem sealer.

CAM00085_zps13gwwhbh.jpg

CAM00086_zpshzn18uz0.jpg

CAM00087_zpsrfh6dpeb.jpg

CAM00088_zpsi2fp0tmt.jpg

CAM00089_zpsh35jyqmu.jpg

CAM00090_zpsz0nmtqrg.jpg

rodneypierce said:
And DONE! Looks good enough for this guy! Any small imperfections left will come out of it once I lay down the 4 or 5 coats of 2k primer. Pretty happy with the way it turned out. This car is my first attempt at body work of any kind.

CAM00067_zpsg4rswwwl.jpg

CAM00068_zpsyz7ta3hi.jpg

CAM00069_zps5dgdyyfg.jpg

CAM00070_zpsyjdlmtqs.jpg

CAM00071_zpsoccxh90r.jpg

CAM00072_zpsz1c1qgev.jpg

Your body work and fab skills are very impressive for a first timer. I had to do the same repair in the window channel area on my malibu. It took me some time to fab, weld and finish it to my liking. I like the mod you did to remove the landau attachments on the b pillar. LOoks good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor