1981 Malibu Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Longroof79 said:
Lookin' good, Rodney!
I'm diggin' the color.
However, I'm not a huge fan of the oversize cowl hoods...but for the price, you can't go wrong.

I agree, wanted a 4 inch for sure. But like said, I cant argue with that price!! Save myself several hundred dollars on a hood.

Got the hood DA'd with 80 grit today. And got a coat of slick sand sprayed on it tonight. Im out of slick sand so will block it out tomorrow and shoot it in high build if needed.

CAM00153_zpsia7hxpek.jpg

Today got the doors removed, hood blocked out, and the main body/jams shot with 2K. I was thinking about spraying color in the jams but decided Ill save that for another day. I didnt spend a lot of time prep wise in the jamb area. Basically scuffed it, degreased it and shot it.

CAM00154_zpsbxizfdsx.jpg

CAM00155_zps3tzgdqa4.jpg

CAM00158_zpsv768oqk6.jpg

CAM00159_zpsjbui9s3f.jpg

CAM00160_zpsvuqmjtn5.jpg

CAM00161_zpselzh0zut.jpg

CAM00162_zpsepn9gpdd.jpg

Alright, got the jambs shot today. I have to work for the next two weekends so might not have much progress between now and then. I will go to town wet sanding the primer in 320, then 400 and hopefully have that all done here this week some time. Still need to prep the inner door jambs and the deck lid, then spray primer on the fenders and doors. But, getting there! Slowly but surely!

Base sprayed:

CAM00174_zpsel0u7xxg.jpg

CAM00172_zps9uekjwe5.jpg

CAM00169_zpsoybplo4t.jpg

CAM00170_zpsqfgsfqig.jpg

CAM00168_zpsoi3j0sri.jpg

CAM00167_zpsbs91phcc.jpg

CAM00165_zpsechnvdwv.jpg

And with the clear laid on it:

CAM00175_zpswlwqboib.jpg

CAM00176_zpsvbzltsd3.jpg

CAM00177_zpsyuonkfhs.jpg

CAM00178_zpshtsuozza.jpg

CAM00182_zpsvq84buxq.jpg

CAM00183_zpspja7uag9.jpg

Then decided to push it outside quick to see what it looked like in a little sun:

CAM00185_zpshrytpoaw.jpg

CAM00186_zpse5lgkhem.jpg

And how she currently sets:

CAM00189_zpshvflbhwc.jpg

CAM00190_zps5mvosjmw.jpg

Alright, today I got the inner doors and trunk lid prepped. Tomorrow I will prime the inside of the trunk lid and the inner doors, along with the final prime of the outer fenders and front and rear bumpers. After that some wet sanding on those and I will be good to go and ready to start putting it all back together for the base/clear!!! I do need to also still final prime the hood as well but will wait until after I decide on how I want to mount it. (either Dzus or pins)

Tonight i decided to come home from work at 11pm and shoot the inner doors and deck lid, along with the bumpers in primer. Tomorrow I plan to scuff it all, and shoot color!

I didnt spend a whole lot of time on the inner doors or the inner deck lid because the guy who owned it before me fixed some rot on the bottom of the doors (which I missed) and its not really up to my quality of work. So Ill eventually get a set of replacement doors (even though the fix is on the inside and most probably wouldnt care). And the deck lid they sprayed but never cleaned it very well, so it looked like they tossed sand in it. I DA'd it all down quick and shot it. Plan for a bolt on glass deck lid eventually, but its not in the cards as of now so no issues there. Bumpers looks NICE though!!

Anyways, here is a few pics!! Getting there!!!

CAM00191_zpsyahlwjm3.jpg

CAM00192_zpspgnhutbg.jpg

CAM00193_zpsjwxn1ylo.jpg

CAM00194_zpsdcfqkjcp.jpg

CAM00195_zpsrxecqsmg.jpg

CAM00196_zpscq92ew3i.jpg

Alright, got some base/clear on it. Learned a few things as you can tell on the bumpers. Before clear there were a few nibs in the base so I used a fine scotch brite pad. That was a mistake. Oh well. At least its on the bumpers! Glad I learned there and not on the body!!!

I might end up spotting in those couple areas, but we will see how I feel when its all said an done. ha. I keep having to tell myself that Im painting it in my garage, and this is my first paint job so its not going to be perfect.

CAM00197_zpsx7ljdsru.jpg

CAM00198_zpsk1fop4ri.jpg

CAM00199_zpsp1aacfwp.jpg

CAM00200_zpsjxfqwc83.jpg

CAM00201_zpsxvsktlr9.jpg

CAM00202_zps1qatwkcd.jpg

CAM00203_zpsaimzjdcn.jpg

CAM00204_zpswyl03see.jpg

CAM00205_zps9oyevrgz.jpg

CAM00206_zpsj9w2q4bh.jpg

CAM00207_zpsekozh3c9.jpg

CAM00208_zpsdmtfcget.jpg

CAM00209_zpsnamht8hu.jpg

Yeah, metallics aren't really the type of base you want to go back and mess with, one spot at a time.

Also, are your bumpers metal?

^^ Yes, they are metal. I DA'd them with 80 grit to start with, then etch primed them, then did my filler work on top of that then high build over that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor