Not open for further replies.

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
1551B64B-D535-44CA-95DF-5C568125011E.jpeg
C05ABE15-4A12-43C0-8138-3DD03F685C44.jpeg
5FD6D2B4-FBDE-408E-AE36-BF2B079B1864.jpeg
I’ll get a video of her running! But today was the maiden trip around the block! Best two minutes of my day. Still more work to be done, but at least she’ll drive to get exhaust done!

Reactions: 10 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Lookin' good, Coach. Keep up the good work.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
Thanks! There's still a laundry list of things to do and take care of, but just getting it running and driving is HUGE! Here's a short, short video...open exhaust and not running as I'd like. But 14 reasonably trouble free miles around town. She'll leave a black mark...wish it were two...
IMG_0323.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

abadwillys

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2016
NY
Nice Job, Good luck with it

is that your shop?

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
Nice Job, Good luck with it

is that your shop?

Not my shop...I coach Track/Cross Country at a Technical College (you might think “Vo-Tech”). This has been a long, very long term student project that I’ve kind of spearheaded. So the shop in the picture in the 2nd year Automotive Technology shop.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
Has anyone ever used a Painless 60650 Gauge Controler for an LS Swap? That's what I used to make the Speedo and Tach work. I'm trying to hook up Oil Pressure, Temperature, Volt, and Fuel gauges. Volt and Fuel are "stand alone" so I'm sure that when I get my new gauges, they'll install "easily." But what I'm finding out now that my Painless 60650 might be redundant...which is what it was designed to eliminate...and the reason I bought it. It seems my 2003 PCM doesn't put out oil pressure data to the DLC, but Painless thinks it's a setting that a Tuner can take care of...any truth to that? If my PCM doesn't put out that data, that piece of the Painless box wouldn't be used and I'd have to go another route...bummer. Temperature data does come through the DLC via the PCM, so with the right gauge, I "should" be able to get temperature data. I've tried my factory gauge and a "cheap" VDO gauge from NAPA and I get nothing when hooked to the Painless Controler.

What I'm trying to avoid is the drill and tap method for getting Oil Pressure and Temperature data. The sensors are already there, the data is there, I just want to retrieve it without reinventing the wheel. Any advice or experience? I'm trying to keep things "stock" in appearance and (for now) functionality. Thanks in advance!

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
Did a little more work on the wagon. Still more bugs to work out, but I found a Rubbermaid garbage can just about the size of the computer. So after a little slice and dice, I got the computer into the the garbage can and the garbage can back into the spot we had picked out for it. I also hooked up a wire that will eventually go to the tunes that was just kind of floating out there.

I put 20-30 miles on it today after getting the misfires diagnosed and fixed. I'm positive that I replaced the spark plugs before installing the engine, but two of them had major cracks in the ceramic part. I couldn't find any obvious things wrong with the third one, but I replaced all three and it fixed the problem.
IMG_0338.jpg

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Did a little more work on the wagon. Still more bugs to work out, but I found a Rubbermaid garbage can just about the size of the computer. So after a little slice and dice, I got the computer into the the garbage can and the garbage can back into the spot we had picked out for it. I also hooked up a wire that will eventually go to the tunes that was just kind of floating out there.

I put 20-30 miles on it today after getting the misfires diagnosed and fixed. I'm positive that I replaced the spark plugs before installing the engine, but two of them had major cracks in the ceramic part. I couldn't find any obvious things wrong with the third one, but I replaced all three and it fixed the problem. View attachment 77610
You could reuse a factory cluster
20171122_213829.jpg
See my build thread for details.
As far as I know, you have to duplicate the sending units to run gauges.

CoachFoust

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Nebraska City, Ne
I like that reuse of the factor cluster. I thought about that once upon a time. I just didn't want to hack into my dash like you did. I think what you did looks super cool, but I still wanted the "original" look. I've got the speedo and tach to work just fine. Oil pressure and temperature are the ones I'm not able to get to work. I've found an adaptor that screws into the port for the oil pressure sending unit. It basically gives another port for a second sensor. Unfortunately, that's duplication, which I'm trying to avoid. I've been chatting with Andrew at SpeedHut and I think we may have a solution to the temperature sensor...although he thinks that one of their gauges should be able to be programmed by the Painless box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor