1983 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Can't go wrong with a set of classic aluminum slots if you can find a good set or two pairs in the right sizes, lug patterns and back spacing. Ansen Sprints are pretty close but not quite like the old school slots.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Agree

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Be ready to change your mind a gazillion times before you buy new wheels, i like many other sure as hell did! Best bit of advice is to find a good online wheel visualizer to help narrow down what fits your taste.
It will be hard to beat the wheel you linked at that price though! As 565 said, i too think a 5 spoke wheel looks the best on our cars....obviously my opinion. I've seen other wheels look decent if picked properly, but even my factory 5 spoke olds rallyes look sweet for a 14" wheel.

Shakes the Rat

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2016
Alright, back to the transmission. I need to have the direct piston machined to accept five steels and clutches before I can begin assembling the transmission. This begins with disassembling the direct drum and reassembling it with four steels and clutches. I measured the clearance with a feeler gauge. I also measured a steel/clutch and the piston.

I had .056 clearance with new clutches/steels. Since I want to have a final .050 clearance, I subtracted .006 from the clutch/steel measurement. This should be what I want machined from the piston. Because the clearance tolerance is .040 to .060, I'll probably machine it a few thousandths short. I'd rather it have a tight gap than wide.

Shakes the Rat

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2016
Once again, my plans didn't work out. I wanted to take the direct piston to a friends shop last week to machine it for the 5th clutch. Unfortunately, I got sick for the first time in three years. I was down for a week so that didn't get done. I did have some time off Christmas eve so I got some work done on the frame.

I made a template for the lower control arm brackets,

cut them out of 11 gauge and welded them up.

I bought a TIG welder 4 months ago. Since I'm using every opportunity to practice with it, I used it to weld the plates together. I then used my MIG to weld the brackets to the frame itself. I need to drill a few holes in the bracket so water and dirt won't collect inside. If I can stay ahead of other shop work, I can get to the upper control arm reinforcement Sunday.

Reactions: 2 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Once again, my plans didn't work out. I wanted to take the direct piston to a friends shop last week to machine it for the 5th clutch. Unfortunately, I got sick for the first time in three years. I was down for a week so that didn't get done. I did have some time off Christmas eve so I got some work done on the frame.

I made a template for the lower control arm brackets,

cut them out of 11 gauge and welded them up.

I bought a TIG welder 4 months ago. Since I'm using every opportunity to practice with it, I used it to weld the plates together. I then used my MIG to weld the brackets to the frame itself. I need to drill a few holes in the bracket so water and dirt won't collect inside. If I can stay ahead of other shop work, I can get to the upper control arm reinforcement Sunday.
Great looking work!

• Agree

Shakes the Rat

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2016
Time for an update. After a rough start of the year (I got sick, my dog got sick, my truck broke down) I'm finally able to get back to my Olds. My dog cost me $600 at the vet so new parts are put off for a while but I still have a lot of labor to do.

I drilled the speed/drain holes for the lower control arm brackets.

The box sections are mostly welded in. I tacked the lower side in but haven't welded it yet. I'm going to flip the frame over to make welding easier.

And I made the transition piece from the trans mount.

And since GM apparently hired a blind man to weld their frames with two batteries, jumper cables and a coat hanger, I'm rewelding the frame.

Reactions: 2 users

Shakes the Rat

Apprentice
Oct 8, 2016
I picked up an engine before I went to work. 350 TBI engine from a truck. The casting codes show it has provisions for a roller cam and the owner swore it has never been rebuilt. Could be two or four bolt main. I'll find out when I do a tear down, maybe tonight.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
I have everything for a factory roller cam but the can if needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor