1984 Chevy El Camino (Build Up and Progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1984 Chevy El Camino

Oh boy your going hard with the big boy toys. I gotta give you props because your always doing the harder jobs/ mods that take knowledge to get them done. The platform you setting up for the el is on beast mode that transmission, rearend and break upgrade is just nuts. From my understand to bad that break work isn't going to workout with the new rearend but I know your on it now!

Well after a long stressful day with my son and his surgery, took a break from the house and ran to the junkyard, well a couple of them, to kinda take my mind off things, surgery went great, he is in recovery...

anyhow, picked up the OBD2 plug I needed for my harness ($4, beats $20)
IMG_20111004_194956.jpg

sat in the garage for a sec and tried to figure out how to keep the wiring process clean, was going to make a metal bracket for the brain, but while at the junk yard, I noticed a 97ish S-10, with this in it, wasnt sure if it would fit, but it looked like it, so I took a gamble at $4... turns out the brain in that car is the same size as this one (even though it was a 4cyl)

this is the bracket and with my brain in it
front
IMG_20111004_195050.jpg

back
IMG_20111004_195059.jpg

IMG_20111004_195223.jpg

IMG_20111004_195228.jpg

IMG_20111004_195238.jpg

IMG_20111004_195245.jpg

my plan is to weld studs on the back/inside of my ac delete plate and bolt the brain to that, so the entire piece can be bolted in and out, as if it were meant to be like that... i am welding the studs on, so that you dont see the bolt on the firewall/engine bay, cause all that is getting shaved... the fuse/relay block will prob be attatched to the same plate, to keep everything tucked away and nice, gotta wait to see how it all lays out before i make my final decision, but i hope it comes out good...

also picked up a factory radiator top plate for $7... gonna just clean this up and powder it...
IMG_20111004_195040.jpg

sweet come up Skip....u on a roll...makes me want to go to junk yard and get my wrenching on...lol...great job...

nice score bro.. if u happen to come across a rear sway bar and a front sway bar(the thick one) lmk.

1st off glad ur boy pulled thru ok and that all went well as family is most important......
You found some good scores there skip I can't wait to see how this all comes together if u ever need and obd2 scanner let me know you really are getting down on this setup....very nice work. All the best to your son for speedy recovery

Dave V said:
1st off glad ur boy pulled thru ok and that all went well as family is most important......
You found some good scores there skip I can't wait to see how this all comes together if u ever need and obd2 scanner let me know you really are getting down on this setup....very nice work. All the best to your son for speedy recovery
thanks very much bro! I have a scanner and am looking into software for my computer to make my own adjustments and tweaks...

kuruption109 said:
nice score bro.. if u happen to come across a rear sway bar and a front sway bar(the thick one) lmk.
will do
80ELCAMINOFLAKE said:
sweet come up Skip....u on a roll...makes me want to go to junk yard and get my wrenching on...lol...great job...

thanks bro, getting there, slowly but surely

youngdeezy said:
Oh boy your going hard with the big boy toys. I gotta give you props because your always doing the harder jobs/ mods that take knowledge to get them done. The platform you setting up for the el is on beast mode that transmission, rearend and break upgrade is just nuts. From my understand to bad that break work isn't going to workout with the new rearend but I know your on it now!
thanks bro! yeh the brakes wont work on the 9" i dont think, but i have something in mind for that...

That wiring harness looked like a very daunting task. I dont know if i woulda had the patience to tackle that. Well i guess it may have been a bit easier since it was out of the car but still alot of hard work. Keep it up man. I love guys who fix it instead of just buying another one. 8)

LSCustoms said:
Dave V said:
thanks very much bro! I have a scanner and am looking into software for my computer to make my own adjustments and tweaks....
well in that case I guess I know who ill be going to for programing one day. You are definatley going all out I love it.

Man I'm glad to hear your son is doing well! This build is going to a whole nother level. I gotta have a Ls engine for one of my cars I keep saying it but your thread keeps motivating me to get one. After the new year I'll be ready to start building one up for the camaro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor