442 1985 442 Carburetor Stock Restoration-Refurbish

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Do you happen to have a list of the different setting specifications for the TPS voltage on different models? I can’t find it anywhere for my 1983 E2ME that’s on a Buick 231 that came from the factory in my 1983 Cutlass Supreme Brougham. I’ve bought 3 different brand rebuild kits in the last year, and it’s not on any of the sheets
No, sorry, I don't have an 83 CSM. If you have a 1983 service manual, it should be in there at the end of the E2ME section.

I do happen to have an 84 CSM, which lists the 3.8L V6 at minimum authority setting on the ISC setting. 450 rpm, +/- 25 rpm. That TPS voltage is 0.39V. If I were to bet, I'd say the 83 version is very similar if not the same.

(For comparison, the 3.0L V6 shows 500 rpm in drive, minimum authority setting on the ISC, again, +/-25 rpm. Its TPS voltage would be 0.42V)

It appears somewhere around 0.40V should get you in the ballpark without having to worry about a check engine light or tossing a code.

An E2ME is typically just the front half of a 4 bbl E-jet, so, there's that.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Just a quick note on the desktop power supplies, while simply using it to provide power to the TPS reference signal isn’t enough to justify buying one, they are great at “reviving” dead automotive batteries….if you have a couple weeks/months to keep cycling it (charge/discharge rinse/repeat)
A regulated bench power supply is not made to charge any kind of batteries, its made for testing with clean constant DC voltage.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Do you happen to have a list of the different setting specifications for the TPS voltage on different models? I can’t find it anywhere for my 1983 E2ME that’s on a Buick 231 that came from the factory in my 1983 Cutlass Supreme Brougham. I’ve bought 3 different brand rebuild kits in the last year, and it’s not on any of the sheets
I have that list, need to find it.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
No, sorry, I don't have an 83 CSM. If you have a 1983 service manual, it should be in there at the end of the E2ME section.

I do happen to have an 84 CSM, which lists the 3.8L V6 at minimum authority setting on the ISC setting. 450 rpm, +/- 25 rpm. That TPS voltage is 0.39V. If I were to bet, I'd say the 83 version is very similar if not the same.

(For comparison, the 3.0L V6 shows 500 rpm in drive, minimum authority setting on the ISC, again, +/-25 rpm. Its TPS voltage would be 0.42V)

It appears somewhere around 0.40V should get you in the ballpark without having to worry about a check engine light or tossing a code.

An E2ME is typically just the front half of a 4 bbl E-jet, so, there's that.
Ok, THANKS! I’m pretty sure that the E2ME for the 3.0 and 3.8 are the same PN so I would assume the specs should be the same. I have my generic Chiltons “Mid size Oldsmobile” service manual which doesn’t really touch on anything having to do with the carburetor other than explaining the CCC system, and I have a pretty thorough AC Delco E2ME Unit repair/Overhaul/Calibration manual but I’ve been through it backwards and forwards and the one spec I can’t find is the TPS

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Never worked at a GM dealership. I've always been on the customer side of the counter at the parts department a whole bunch, though. But with nearly 40 years of jacking around with G-bodies, you kind of get to know them a little. Especially Oldsmobile G-bodies, and more specifically the H/O and 442.
I did, and at the time these cars were new, and you just did a better job than any instructor I ever had.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
These two pages cover the factory E2ME carburetors from 1981-1986.
It's possible that the original carburetor to the car could have been replaced. Just take the number off carburetor and match it to one the carburetor numbers on one of those pages.

20220718_171557.jpg
20220718_171644.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Reference the TPS volts question, and some other settings year to year and across the GM platform. Most will be the same or very similar especially from going one year to the next. The Pontiac Turbo TA is going to be different from an Impala sedan with a base 305 or a Monte SS or the 442, but yet still will be very close. With outliers such as the T-TA being exceptions. From the Pontiac 301 to the Chevy 4.3 V6 in the Chevy Astro Van to the Vin Y/9 307, all are going to be very close.

One thing to remember is the original quality of the copper and other conductors/semi-conductors used at manufacture and the current effect on these parts after 30 to 40+ years. Even on NOS parts you can't get too tied up with a perfect by the book specified value.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
These two pages cover the factory E2ME carburetors from 1981-1986.
It's possible that the original carburetor to the car could have been replaced. Just take the number off carburetor and match it to one the carburetor numbers on one of those pages.

View attachment 202957 View attachment 202958
Oh, sh*t I have that book too! I totally forgot it had all the tuneup specs in it. It's AC-Delco book SD-100A, Tune up specifications. Mine only covers 81-87. Has Ford and Chrysler specs in it too.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Oh, sh*t I have that book too! I totally forgot it had all the tuneup specs in it. It's AC-Delco book SD-100A, Tune up specifications. Mine only covers 81-87. Has Ford and Chrysler specs in it too.
Yup that's the book, I still have all my books when the dealership I worked at sent me to GM Service Training school back then.
It's an excellent book to have when looking up stock Tune up specs instead of having all the years Service manuals.
20220718_205716.jpg

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
Still waiting for my carburetor to get back from the plater's. Driving home from the grocery store today, it occurred to me that I couldn't remember how the rear vacuum break (RVB) aka, secondary vacuum break, solenoid was energized during start up. Also, how many people really don't understand how the Quadrajet choke system works. I mean, really works. What does what and when type of things. I truly believe that most carburetor issues are misadjusted linkages and lack of ANY type of maintenance on the carb.

So...breaking out the overhead projector again, lets go over a few things on a G-body Oldsmobile E4MC Quadrajet choke system. Again, this may be old hat to some of y'all who's messed with these carbs, or it could be brand new info for you. Maybe someone could learn a little about it and quit ripping the carburetors off along with the CCC system at the first sign of trouble.

Let's start off with the basic setup of the E4MC Olds Quadrajet choke system. Once again, I stress I am not an expert, but I do understand the functionality of most of the carburetor and supporting cast.

For the most part, all 80s G-body E4MC Quadrajets tend to have 4 main pieces to the choke system, besides the all important choke butterfly itself.

Those pieces are:

Primary choke pulloff
Choke housing/spring/fast idle cam assembly
Rear Vacuum Break, aka Secondary choke pulloff
RVB solenoid controlled from the ECM (not shown)

Here's a typical E4MC Oldsmobile style Quadrajet. Not all carburetors have a rear vacuum break, but most Oldsmobiles do. Pretty sure all the 307s do.

Red arrow- Primary Choke pulloff
Yellow arrow- Choke housing with main spring
Blue arrow- Rear Vacuum Break

View attachment 200242

Let's go over the choke housing first. This is where the main party takes place during the choke operation when the engine is cold. Note the black circle that's held on with phillips head screws (factory used rivets). It is attached to a bi-metallic coil spring that when cold, wraps itself up tight and attempts to close the choke butterfly via the linkage. After shutting off the car when warm, the choke spring is loose, allowing the choke butterfly to stay open, and your fast idle cam isn't even playing in the sandbox at this point as it's on the low step. So your curb idle screw is the only thing in play at this point (on driver side of carb). When the engine/carb cools off, the choke spring tries to close the choke, but it won't because of the fast idle adjustment screw keeps it on the low step on the fast idle cam. The choke needs to be set the next time you start the car when it's cold. This is done by pressing the gas pedal ONCE. When the primary throttle blades open, the fast idle cam adjustment step is pulled away from the choke linkage allowing the fast idle link/weight to release. This allows the choke spring to wind up and close the choke. This gas pedal action also squirts fuel into the intake via the accelerator pump shot.

Once the engine starts, filtered air is pulled through the back of the carbuetor air horn through the 1/4" tube. It connects to a heat stove (u-tube arrangement bolted to the intake into the cross-over port). Heated air is pulled from the heat stove tube into the choke spring housing. A small hole in the choke housing is routed to the intake via the main body of the carb. This way, hot air is pulled through the choke spring housing as long as the engine is running, keeping the spring loose allowing the choke butterfly to open, then stay open once the spring is hot.

This isn't an Olds hot air choke setup, but it's similar and works the same. I'm just using it as an illustration about how it needs the tubing to work. A note about the choke disc- early Quadrajets used an adjustable spring, while the E4MC used on the 307s had a fixed position. There's a notch in the black plastic disc that fits into a lug in the choke housing. Only one way to place it.
images

So that takes care of the choke housing. Most Chevies used an E4ME carb. Pretty much the same, but with an electronic choke. It didn't need the hot air tubes. Just a 12V source that when the ignition is on, the choke starts to heat up. That said, almost any hot air choke can be modified to be an electric choke, but obviously you need to block off the vacuum port in the choke housing to the carb, otherwise you'd have a useless vacuum leak.

Now on to the primary choke pulloff. Nobody ever thinks about this thing much until the diaphragm blows. More on that in a minute. First, let's take a couple of steps back to the point where you pressed the gas pedal once to set the choke and squirt some fuel into the intake. Now, the engine is cranked at this point, and assuming the rest of the engine components and systems are in working order, the engine reaches about 200 rpm and starts pulling more fuel from the carb into the intake. Choke is closed, so it will try and suck the eyes out of a parrot at this point and pull whatever it can from wherever it can. So if it can't suck air, it's going to suck gas. So now you have a super-rich environment as the engine is cranking, and that should give you enough fuel to vaporize and ignite in the combustion chamber, starting the engine. Vrroom! The engine comes to life!

You're now on the fast idle cam step keeping rpm up, and the engine is going to want some air to keep running. So what happens? The primary choke pulloff almost instantly reacts to the increased vacuum signal, and draws in the diaphragm, moving the extension rod toward the front. An adjustable actuator on the extension rod pulls forward, touching the choke linkage in a manner which opens the choke butterfly slightly as the engine starts allowing some air to help lean out the mixture into the engine and keep the engine running. This is an important aspect of the primary pulloff, because if the diaphragm is damaged, or the hose splits, the pulloff is inoperable, and will NOT open the choke butterfly at all. This will be exhibited by a super-rich conditions where once the engine starts, it will belch black smoke out the exhaust and stumble and most likely die quickly because it isn't getting any air. Super simple to change out if yours breaks, but also super simple to check with a mity vac or other vacuum tool. As with all pulloff diaphragm pods like this, vacuum applied should hold for 20 seconds, or the pod needs to be replaced.

Note on this carb, it also has a secondary link going to the secondary air valve. Wait, this is a PRIMARY pulloff, wtf? Yep, when the engine is running with high vacuum, the link rod is pulled to the front of the slot on the secondary air valves keeping them from opening, which would not be good for your engine. Once you get ready to go and the choke is off, once you floor it, the engine vacuum drops and the primary pulloff loses vacuum and returns to its idle state, which allows a more controlled opening of the secondaries. You don't have the air valves just flapping open immediately all at once.

A note on primary and secondary pulloffs. On this particular carburetor, the pulloffs do not have a bleed hole in them, nor are they readily adjustable. Some are, but in this case, no. So when testing ones that have a bleed hole, you'll need to tape the hole first. Just throwing that out there.

Now, on to the last thing, and that's the rear vacuum break. Has NOTHING to do with the secondaries at all. This one is a bit tough to explain on paper. Its vacuum signal is ECM controlled, via the RVB solenoid, which on the 5.0L Olds V8s is on the driver side rear of the engine. The vacuum signal comes from the small port on the back of the carb via about 40 feet of spaghetti vacuum hose, and under certain cold conditions, will open the choke butterfly slightly wider than the primary choke pulloff. This is a bit tougher to explain, because the RVB solenoid is normally de-energized allowing vacuum to pass through it. However, when the engine starts, the ECM sends a signal to energize the RVB solenoid effectively keeping it from operating for the first 30 seconds. By this time, if the engine is running right and it isn't 150 degrees below zero, the choke spring will start to loosen and open the choke more in that 30 seconds. If it's TOO cold out, the spring will still be tighter, the choke is still not opening as quickly. Once the 30 seconds is up, the ECM de-energizes the RVB solenoid allowing vacuum to pull the actuating rod connected to the choke butterfly linkage to open it slightly more than the primary pulloff would to help with atomization at the lower temperatures. Again, if the choke is already open to this point, the RVB operates like it's supposed to, but doesn't do anything.

View attachment 200245

There are people out there saying that the RVB is totally useless anyway, and you don't need it. Most of the time it's likely true. If you live in, say, Houston, or L.A., you probably won't get it cold enough to need the RVB. But in Manitoba during the cold winter, you just might. It doesn't hurt to have it, but if it doesn't work and you're in a warm climate, well, it likely won't be missed. But you do you. All I'm saying here is that now you know what it's supposed to do, and hopefully not just dismiss it out of hand.

When I go through the carburetor, I'll show you how all this junk gets adjusted. You'd be surprised how out of whack these things can be.

Hope I didn't leave anything out. If you got any questions, feel free to ask. I'll do what I can. Again, I'm not an expert. Cliff Ruggles is an expert.
Well, I thought my carb was tuned right until I took my parrot out there and no matter how much I screamed and threatened it, it absolutely refused to suck it’s eyes out! Back to the drawing board!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor