1985 grand national

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
On a Turbo you need to measure the diameter of the of the compressor wheel and of the turbine wheel. That will tell you roughly what you have
ur cold at it, if by looking at it u can tell thats cool but c/s what good isnit for will it fit my 6.0 ls then? it reads M12 A-R .50

Its hard to tell the turbo size by looking at it. The Turbine looks pretty big but the Compressor looks pretty small.

What is the compressor inlet diameter:
Ebay Turbo Compressor.jpg

Turbos for 3.8L are generally too small for a 6.0L, unless you use 2 of them.

Also I'm seeing Fails all over that setup for its intended 3.8L application, even if it fit. There does not appear to be a wastegate provision in the piping. The plates they provided so you can "build your own downpipe" cover over the waste gate hole in the turbo. If you were somehow able to bolt it on and somehow able to make boost with all joints in the pre turbo piping, there is no way to control the boost.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
View attachment 86437 Here is what stock 87 intercooled headers look like.

And the turbo bolts directly to the 3 bolt flange just forward and above the passenger side exhaust manifold and not "left turn, Clyde" straight up to a 2 bolt flange to attach to a bent 1 foot pipe to a 4 bolt turbo flange that puts the turbo who knows where?

Running 800 degree exhaust pipes over the top of a motor is usually a stupid idea, with all those melty plastic bits, which is why the '86-87 header design came to be.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Winner

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
i see oil leaking from the little lid on the valve cover what would cause that to do it. and i just noticed my hot aired turbo has a dashboard that reads inteercooled. cool and not cool at the same time lol
8E39385C-BAA4-4297-8B2D-276A026B0463.jpeg
3148AB6C-DC90-4840-8BDC-0B9957A555E2.jpeg

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
One the 86-87 cars, there is rubber donut seal on the breather/fill tube that gets hard and weeps oil onto the top of the valve cover between the donut and valve cover.

That dash sticker isn't stock. This is the dash of my actual intercooled GN:

View attachment 86480 View attachment 86480
would that be something to worry about if its leaking more then a little bit. and damn so that stickers just a sticker huh awesome i might take it off if i knew. dont wanna get roasted once they know mines not inteercooled :)

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
That breather is not factory. It should have a fill tube with a cap. Good luck finding a good one cheap. I found on the 85 valve covers the fill hole is a little odd sized. I could not find an aftermarket fill cap or breather cheep that is why I spent 40 bucks on this.
20171230_173109.jpg
Like said you can buy the o-ring seal, but I doubt it will work with that breather. I think someone modified that breather to work. Also they sell a baffled plug for a breather like mine. Common problem. Don't get all cought up in the hype of the intercooled cars. You can make that hot air run with them pretty easily with E85. Just enjoy it for what it is.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I don't know how the '85 breathers seal, but if its leaking under the breather donut gasket, a bead of RTV might stop it.
They are the same as 87 valve covers. Only difference I know of is the 87 valve covers have a breather on the passenger valve cover. The other thing is there is no baffling built into the cover, so with out adding one or a stand off oil will splash up and leak from a breather like that one. Ty a sock around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor