1985 grand national

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
when i drive the car the steering wheel shakes like if im about to loose control i was wondering what would cause it to do so if my wheels are brand new what can be the next thing to check?
1 alignment
2 suspension
3 bushings
4 shock absorbers
#4 might now have nothing to do with the problem but every tiny pot hole or road hump makes me feel the pain dead in the rear end (no h*)

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
-How long has the steering wheel been shaking?
-Does the shake change depending on what speed you drive?
-Check your lug nuts.
-Check your tie-rods to see if they're loose.
-Check your ball joints to see if they're worn out or loose.
-When's the last time the tires were balanced / Are you missing any wheel weights?

Reactions: 1 user

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
-How long has the steering wheel been shaking?
-Does the shake change depending on what speed you drive?
-Check your lug nuts.
-Check your tie-rods to see if they're loose.
-Check your ball joints to see if they're worn out or loose.
-When's the last time the tires were balanced / Are you missing any wheel weights?
yes it depends on speed and i got the cars confused i never did change the tires thats what ima do next good idea

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
when i drive the car the steering wheel shakes like if im about to loose control i was wondering what would cause it to do so if my wheels are brand new what can be the next thing to check?
1 alignment
2 suspension
3 bushings
4 shock absorbers
#4 might now have nothing to do with the problem but every tiny pot hole or road hump makes me feel the pain dead in the rear end (no h*)

It could be all of the above Plus Steering Idler arm AND Inner/Outer Tie rods AND Tires and the Brakes.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Swap wheels/tire first.

When you take each tire off feel for unusual tread wear

With the different set of tires you put ou, grab a tire and move the top in/out and turn the tire with your hands and look for slop/movement in the suspension/steering.

If you can turn the tire, but the steering wheel doesn't turn, Houston, you have a problem.

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
Swap wheels/tire first.

When you take each tire off feel for unusual tread wear

With the different set of tires you put ou, grab a tire and move the top in/out and turn the tire with your hands and look for slop/movement in the suspension/steering.

If you can turn the tire, but the steering wheel doesn't turn, Houston, you have a problem.
thanks

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If anyone has done work on the front end recently I would check the upper control arm bolts to make sure they didn't back off allowing the alignment shims to fall out.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
9D26BF11-5621-4BBE-BFD1-E1F9E14622AE.jpeg
im changing the bushings doing an alignment and he mentioned steering box is loose so hopefully after all that it cruises bad *ss a/c finally is working and the oil leaked coming from the valve cover is fixed woohoo what a good friday

Reactions: 1 users

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
Any of those turbo kits and or turbo headers from ebay are not going to be direct fit. Will have to modify to make it work for your car even if it says will fit. I bought some turbo headers and I had to do alot so the spark plugs wouldn't rub and so the factory heat and ac box would clear.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor