1985 grand national

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
about tired of the 85 idk if its the hot air turbo that makes them a hassle but i dont find one good mechanic for it i took it out the performance shop yesterday only to die on me 2 times i started it today and took it down the toll road and it wanted to die on me by the time i got to point B the engine started knocking checked oil and there was enough in there i messaged the guy and all he said was ill pick it up in a flatbed to re inspected lmao performance shop my *ss im stuck in selling or keeping i dont want to loose the originality of it being all stock so if i go inteercooled its gonna loose value cause its not original if i go ls swap again it looses originality so i might just go ahead and sell it and keep my 84 ls swapped regal

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Lots of little stuff goes wrong on a Turbo Regal. Stuff like the cheap plastic MAF Sensor, that will leave you stranded or at best, limping home.

The difference between an '85 MAF going bad and a '86/87 MAF going bad, is with an '86/87, someone will tell you how to diagnose the problem (rev the motor up a little and tap on the MAF), where to buy and what to look for in a good, cheap reman MAF, How to Upgrade to and LT1/LS1 style MAF and what computer set up will eliminate a MAF completely. vs. if an '85 MAF goes bad, the help you will get consists only of "Sell Your '85 and buy an '86/87".

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
Lots of little stuff goes wrong on a Turbo Regal. Stuff like the cheap plastic MAF Sensor, that will leave you stranded or at best, limping home.

The difference between an '85 MAF going bad and a '86/87 MAF going bad, is with an '86/87, someone will tell you how to diagnose the problem (rev the motor up a little and tap on the MAF), where to buy and what to look for in a good, cheap reman MAF, How to Upgrade to and LT1/LS1 style MAF and what computer set up will eliminate a MAF completely. vs. if an '85 MAF goes bad, the help you will get consists only of "Sell Your '85 and buy an '86/87".
your not lieing on that one lol about the best advice they give is to sell it

Last edited:

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you talk to the guys in the performance shop like you type in your posts it could be they have no clue of what you are saying.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The whole "Motor Rebuild" thing is sketchy, unless you have receipts that mention Crackshaft polishing and new main bearings. Some people after they blow a headgasket from too much boost think putting new headgaskets in is "rebuilding the motor".

When "Too much boost, not enough Octane" happens in a turbo regal and the crankcase is filled with anti-freeze and the motor isn't IMMEDIATELY shut off (I only live a mile away, I'll drive it home...), the Rod and crank bearings are toast and will start knocking at some point in the next few hundred miles, as they eat themselves if they aren't replaced.

V6's run rough normally and there are lots of thing that can sound like a rod knock (tensioner pulley, a loose bracket, etc), but if one blows a head gasket, then is driven a short distance and then just has the top end patched up, the bottom end has a very high likelihood of self destructing in the very near future.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Reactions: 1 user

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
The whole "Motor Rebuild" thing is sketchy, unless you have receipts that mention Crackshaft polishing and new main bearings. Some people after they blow a headgasket from too much boost think putting new headgaskets in is "rebuilding the motor".

When "Too much boost, not enough Octane" happens in a turbo regal and the crankcase is filled with anti-freeze and the motor isn't IMMEDIATELY shut off (I only live a mile away, I'll drive it home...), the Rod and crank bearings are toast and will start knocking at some point in the next few hundred miles, as they eat themselves if they aren't replaced.

V6's run rough normally and there are lots of thing that can sound like a rod knock (tensioner pulley, a loose bracket, etc), but if one blows a head gasket, then is driven a short distance and then just has the top end patched up, the bottom end has a very high likelihood of self destructing in the very near future.
Instead of being embarrassed to the point of making lame threats maybe you should put a bit more effort into your posts and use some punctuation so it could be read and understood.
if you dont like it or dont understand me why you such a big fan of me lol you make me laugh always nagging about my way of typing but understand every single word

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
That could be Pontiac 301 turbo stuff. It seems to get thrown into TR categories when people don't know what they actually have.

That little tiny turbo is too small even in a twin setup for a 6.0 LS. It's a T3/T4 hybrid knockoff. Compressor inlet is 50mm roughly, a 6.0 needs more in the 75+mm compressor inlet size for a mild setup.

• Informative

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you dont like it or dont understand me why you such a big fan of me lol you make me laugh always nagging about my way of typing but understand every single word

I am not a fan of you, I feel sorry for people like yourself who either have a handicap or are not educated enough to put a proper sentence together.

Emmanuel cuellar

G-Body Guru
Aug 8, 2017
I am not a fan of you, I feel sorry for people like yourself who either have a handicap or are not educated enough to put a proper sentence together.
you my number one fan im 100 percent sure! and if my post are so hard to figure out why you always in them you have an obsesion with me maybe a crush lol i have no sympathy for people like you the way you argue with me and disagree with me it sure makes you as handicap or uneducated as you label me. please not for a second believe you are so smart and profesional on your high horse cause "if" you were you would know when to mind your own business or you would know when to keep your mouth shut. when i signed up to gbody forum it did not say i would have to type or write a certain way to not piss off old miserable men like your self so if you dont like it keep it moving playa its not too hard to understand specially if you claim to be so "smart and educated" hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor