1986 Cultass Supreme Brougham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The main idea I am struggling with now is my heater/ac box under the hood. My last g body, a 1984 Monte Carlo had the same problem. With the engine install, the previous owned ripped apart the a/c system. You can see this is my picture of my engine bay. I don't know whether to rebuild the a/c system, or convert it to a a/c delete, heat only system. I don't think I want to totally get rid of the heater too. Any ideas?
I'm in Houston. No A/C=junk here. What's your location? Will you be able to enjoy the car without A/C? I would at least retain heat in the car for defrost. A functional vent system would also probably be nice.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
As Jared mentioned above...your location and your preference may dictate whether you want to have A/C or not. On my Camino everything was there so I was going to retain it. On the boy's Malibu we were going to swap to a factory heat only setup to help clean up under the hood, he also had a notion that "hot rods" don't have A/C.

One thing to keep in mind is if you decide to swap to a heat only system to retain some form of heat/defrost for early spring late fall evenings....every component between an A/C system and a heat only system is different...right down to the glove box liner.

Reactions: 1 user

Jax86Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2016
Well I don't need ac. I live in Michigan. It's cold enough here for me anyway. But I would like heat. But the only problem, as you guys mentioned, a heat only system is completely different. I want a clean looking engine bay. I could do a complete heat and ac delete panel, but I wouldn't have heat whenever I drive the car. You see my problem? Maybe it's just my OCD, but I hate the way the ac system is hacked up under the hood right now

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I was going to suggest contacting him as well....I had the better part of two complete heat only setups here but I've since sold most of it off. I seem to run across them fairly often here....maybe GM figured we didn't need A/C here.

Jeff's a good guy to deal with...

I think the only parts I have left is the under/behind dash ducting and a couple of heat only heater cores...

Last edited:

Jax86Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2016
Also, do you guys know of a good product to repair dash cracks? My dash is not in terrible shape. I think I could save it without putting a dash cap on it.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I don't know of one. Try a google search "cracked dash repair" and see if any good links or videos come up. 81Regal might also have a dash.

• Agree

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I've been lucky enough to find and pull a few crack free dashes here...mind you I was dealing mostly with Chevy stuff. I've sold a few locally and swapped in what we needed here. I've passed up so many crack free Olds and Pontiac dashes it's not funny, but I don't pull them as shipping is much too costly out of Canada.

Jax86Cutlass

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2016
Also, if I were to swap in a bigger camshaft for my 350 Rocket, would I need to change anything internally in the motor?

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Also, if I were to swap in a bigger camshaft for my 350 Rocket, would I need to change anything internally in the motor?

It depends on how much lift you plan to go with. If the cam is reasonably mild you can reuse the factory rockers. I put Edelbrock roller tip rockers on my 403 because they fit under the factory valve covers. There are other, better full rollers available but they require taller valve covers.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-1442-16/overview/make/oldsmobile

CCA-1442-16_AT_ml.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor