1986 cutlass salon 350 lt1 or 403

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttysalon86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 2, 2008
new haven,ct
i have a 1986 cutlass salon with t-tops,i will be upgrading the engine this fall i also have a 1995 buick roadmaster with the lt1,i am thinking of dropping this motor in it ,unless i can find a 403 motor.currently i have
a 307 with 350 auto stock 2.41 gears this car use to be a 6cylinder 22inch
tires with 255/30/tires this is a daily driver in the summer time.but needs more power.anybody do and lt1 into cutlass .[cars for sale 031]

HFX

Apprentice
May 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
cuttysalon86 said:
i have a 1986 cutlass salon with t-tops,i will be upgrading the engine this fall i also have a 1995 buick roadmaster with the lt1,i am thinking of dropping this motor in it ,unless i can find a 403 motor.currently i have
a 307 with 350 auto stock 2.41 gears this car use to be a 6cylinder 22inch
tires with 255/30/tires this is a daily driver in the summer time.but needs more power.anybody do and lt1 into cutlass .[cars for sale 031]

I've seen it done before. You need to cut the cross member for the engine mounts to the oil pan.

The 403 is the easier option.

v8power

G-Body Guru
Aug 24, 2007
green bay WI
i say if you have the lt1 put it in, that along with the 4l60e transmission, you will have a nice package. it would be allot better than the olds 403. the hard part of it is all the dam wiring, but in the the long run, it would be worth it. if you wanted to i think you could some how run that 4l60e on the olds engine if you wanted a nice overdrive transmission

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
well i'm not the biggest fan of the LT engines due to the opti-spark and somethings are really hard to fix ...but, you have it, EFI is really nice, the 4l60e is ok but it can be built to be great and you can add a Shrifter :) and you can even use the rear from the roadmaster, with a little work.
i believe there's a sticky on the LT swap floating around. one thing that i know you have to do is send the ECM out to have the security system wiped from it.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
I can put some feed back on this one ...

I have a cutlass that im dropping an LT1 in it .....unless you are quite patient ,it's quite a job to convert to EFI ....

the 403 is much easier to drop in ,if you already have an olds 307 in there ...
but the looks + reliabilty of an EFI LT1 is hard to beat !
great power+ fuel mileage gives a good combo !
you can convert your 4L60E to 700R4 easily ,to bypass the ECM

Dan

slayer63b

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 6, 2008
Sierra Vista, AZ
Posted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:00 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i'm not the biggest fan of the LT engines due to the opti-spark and somethings are really hard to fix ...but, you have it, EFI is really nice, the 4l60e is ok but it can be built to be great and you can add a Shrifter and you can even use the rear from the roadmaster, with a little work.
i believe there's a sticky on the LT swap floating around. one thing that i know you have to do is send the ECM out to have the security system wiped from it.
You could always buy a new intake that will convert it to a carberated engine and get rid of the old optispark. On the road masters they do not have the aluimium heads so you might want to find a pair off a camaro or vette too. But, reverse flow cooling water pump might be a problem.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i don't believe that you can get rid of the optispark. IIRC there is no drive on the rear of the cam, nor a passage for a distributor. unless you went to a really expensive direct ignition system, which would still require a cam type signal.
and you definately want the reverse flow cooling. modifying (if it's even possible) that would be counterproductive.

bigdan

Master Mechanic
Oct 3, 2007
st-jean baptiste ,quebec,
GMPP sells a carburated LT1 intake that you can put an HEI distributor .
sells 269.00 true summit..

,I just bought one to start my engine carburated ( sooo simple)and when everything will be set up right ill convert to EFI

Dan

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
bigdan said:
GMPP sells a carburated LT1 intake that you can put an HEI distributor .
sells 269.00 true summit..

,I just bought one to start my engine carburated ( sooo simple)and when everything will be set up right ill convert to EFI

Dan

Dan, is the distributor front-mount (like on some of the carb-converted LS1/LS6s) or standard rear-mount HEI. Guessing you have to do a cam swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor