1986 Cutlass Salon Thread: New Wheel Pics (8/31/09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

86CutlassUCF

Master Mechanic
Nov 14, 2008
Central FL
jae said:
Nice cutty & buildup. Yea, I'm just like 85 cutlass Brougham and you, rather have the car and the mechanicals good & fine and worry about paint later. Had the same with my '66 Impala - everywhere I went people keep asking what / when I was going to paint it. Never did paint it, spent my money fixing the brakes, floor, and putting in the hopped-up motor. One of the last things I did were the wheels / tires and redoing the interior. Was going to do a frame off but ended up selling it. What took its place - the '86 Cutlass.

Oh, overall how do like your mufflers? I know you said you want it loud (if that's the case you'd probably love my Delta 40s :twisted: ) but was wondering about the interior resonance.

yea i did want loud but the look of the car right now probably wouldnt go with it but the interior resonance with these mufflers is actually really good. i use to have a trans am with a cut out installed under the passanger seat and this is no way near as bad.... are the delta 40s just as loud as reg 40s?...im probably going to go with flowmasters after i get a 403 if i dont feel like the hookers have gotten any louder

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Id throw a rear out of a Monte SS or gears or an 8.5 under it so that it has enough acceleration to be well sort of fun to drive and then just drive it while you do your 403 build. 3.08, 3.23, 3.42, 3.73. Do the body & paint later she looks good as is for now.

86CutlassUCF

Master Mechanic
Nov 14, 2008
Central FL
dogshit said:
Id throw a rear out of a Monte SS or gears or an 8.5 under it so that it has enough acceleration to be well sort of fun to drive and then just drive it while you do your 403 build. 3.08, 3.23, 3.42, 3.73. Do the body & paint later she looks good as is for now.

yea the paint and body will be last. going as black as it can get :D

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
are the delta 40s just as loud as reg 40s?...im probably going to go with flowmasters after i get a 403 if i dont feel like the hookers have gotten any louder

I'd say they're a little less loud than the reg 40s. I believe they're both 2-chamber mufflers, the deltas are a little different inside to cut down the interior noise. Once up to about 50 or so they mellow out whereas I think the 40s stay aggressive. I was thinking of replacing them with a set of 50s but unsure if they fit (overall length is 4" longer with the 50s). I think you'll like them, whichever version you choose.

I checked Jegs for the different sound-bites to compare but they're about useless.

86CutlassUCF

Master Mechanic
Nov 14, 2008
Central FL
jae said:
are the delta 40s just as loud as reg 40s?...im probably going to go with flowmasters after i get a 403 if i dont feel like the hookers have gotten any louder

I'd say they're a little less loud than the reg 40s. I believe they're both 2-chamber mufflers, the deltas are a little different inside to cut down the interior noise. Once up to about 50 or so they mellow out whereas I think the 40s stay aggressive. I was thinking of replacing them with a set of 50s but unsure if they fit (overall length is 4" longer with the 50s). I think you'll like them, whichever version you choose.

I checked Jegs for the different sound-bites to compare but they're about useless.

yea i think your about right, after looking at the flowmaster page...ill probably go with the delta 40s and get tips straight out the back like this car

jae

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2006
Cool, I think you'll like them. Sometimes Summit has them a little cheaper than Jegs but you can probalby get them anywhere.

Keep up the great work and keep us posted. I gotta go get ready for the snow coming tonight / tomorrow morning :x At this rate I 'm looking to get the car back on the road in June, maybe then it'll stay above 50 for more than a day!!

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
86CutlassUCF said:
ive been having 2nd thoughts about removing the chrome and vinyl top and blacking it all out and smooth...sometimes i wish i didnt buy my car in such nice condition :cry:

86CutlassUCF I'll be totally honest with you. I had an 84 Cutlass that was all blacked out. It looked good, don't get me wrong. I liked it. I've since replaced it with an 86 Cutlass because I could buy it cheaper than doing the bodywork on the 84. I was going to black out the 86 when it came time for paint.

After I saw the 3 pics of your car where you turn the corner and doing a drive-by, I knew right then and there that's what I wanted my car to look like. Black, stock-looking, sleek body and all the factory chrome and the H/O rear spoiler. Yes, I'm also replacing the black vinyl top, too. I'm going to compliment it with 17'' wheels and red Vette calipers. I'm straying from the norm (and approved among fellow Oldsmobilers) with a fuel injected 383 SBC and T56 transmission.

Minion1186 your car is sweet, too. I've got the Claret bucket interior, myself. I'm not saying these are the only 2 nice cars on here, but these are very close to my car style-wise. Stock body and interior with an upgraded driveline and brakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor