1986 grand prix 2+2 notch back legit?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Its not the best photo, but I can read the Y97 RPO code in the list. When you look at it though, it looks like there is a "border", or edging around the label, that you don't normally see when you look at a regular label glued to the bottom side of the trunk lid. Normally, what you will see is the label, with the body colour immediately around it. That one looks like maybe the label was transplanted from the pouch that is usually found on a 2+2, to the trunk lid on that car. Does the VIN on that label match the VIN on the top of the dash? I've owned one of these cars for a few years now, and I've done some reading and research on them. As I said before, I've never heard of GM building any silver/grey notchback 2+2s, just a couple of maroon ones for GM execs back in the day. As far as I know, all the rest were the silver/gray cars with the big back window and short fiberglass trunklid. As Crazyliver said, the strpies and graphics are missing from that car as well. I'm still thinking that it may have started its life as a regular 2+2, then suffered some damage at the rear, which necessitated converting the rear of the car back to the notchback configuration, probably due to the lack of correct 2+2 replacement parts. The glass rear window is pretty much unobtanium, unless you find a parts car. At any rate, I'd still be trying to contact Pontiac Historic services, to see if you can get some documentation for the car. That's probably the best way to go. Either way, its still a neat car. Fix it up and enjoy it.

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
I looked into buying one of the aero coupes years ago i do remember they were made in silver and marroon both i think the marroon is more rare color,but i never found anything about a standard back window comming with the aero coupe frknt end to my knowledge never exsisted ,gm made the monte carlo and grand prix aero coupes so they could use them in nascar they had to make so many models of each to be able to use that body in racing .would be super rare if you can prove that that car came with that front end from a dealer.

83Hyrbyd

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
VA

Attachments

• 1-29050.JPG
    1-29050.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 1,481

jerry455

Apprentice
Jul 9, 2006
sterling hts mi
I work at the GM Tech center and I have seen the 1 maroon 2+2 without the back window. It was an engineering vehicle and it was not production. I thought it looked better than the fastback but someone did not agree. I work with 2 guys who used to work at the company that converted the Grand Prix's and they said all of the cars were identical.

deso600

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2012
hes still unsure of a resto or to sell it not sure he talked with hagerty they ran the vin he said and it came back as a real 2+2

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Its a great car to fix up and drive, but if your friend believes he has something valuable or rare, he should try to get as much documentation as possible. If the person that he bought the car from is the original owner, he should contact that person and see if any of the paperwork pertaining to the original sale of the car is available, and see if he can get his hands on it. As I said before, he should try to get in touch with Pontiac Historical Services, to see if he can get some documentation from them, to verify exactly what this car is. At this point, the car is 26 years old, and without proof of exactly what it is, its just an interesting car, and not particularly valuable.

deso600

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2012
update he grabbed some trans am wheels sets the profile off

Attachments

• noname.jpg
    noname.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 1,234
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor