1986 Grand Prix 5.0 V8 36'015 original kms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYBORG-GN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 5, 2011
ottawa, Ont
Again, thank you all for your input it is very appreciated. It helps me gauge on what I should expect back on my "trade down". I have another quick question. How can you tell if a odometer has rolled over or not? It reads 36024.9kms. I did the CARFAX thing and the kilometres were only recorded from 2003 and on. Their are annual registration renewels for the last 9 years that show it was only driven roughly 1500 kilometres per year but I cannot get any information from CARFAX prior to 2003. I have attached a picture I have taken of the speedometer for anyone who thinks it might help in determing this cars true mileage along with its undercarriage. I mean this car is absolute a time capsule and I was told to look at the pedals for wear along with the drivers seat but all of this seems to point to YES that indeed this is the cars true mileage. I just find it hard to believe thou that someone would keep a car this mint and not keep all the service records. This car comes with no paperwork to back it up other than the CARFAX and it being 100% immaculate all over. ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated!!! Again dealer claims it is 36024.9 Original kilometres OR roughly 22000 miles.

Attachments

• 100_5237.jpg
    100_5237.jpg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 1,612
  • 100_5233.jpg
    100_5233.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,625
  • 100_5240.jpg
    100_5240.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,581
  • 100_5244.jpg
    100_5244.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,604
  • 100_5245.jpg
    100_5245.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,588

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Honestly car fax is not worth a lot. Condition seeing the car and knowing what you are looking at is best. Odd little wear items sometimes tell best such as wear on the brake pedal and is it original or a replacement. Car looks legit to me from what you can see in the pictures.

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
dogshit said:
Honestly car fax is not worth a lot. Condition seeing the car and knowing what you are looking at is best. Odd little wear items sometimes tell best such as wear on the brake pedal and is it original or a replacement. Car looks legit to me from what you can see in the pictures.
From the looks of those pics it definitely looks like the miles are legit. I mean you can still see the factory paint stripes on the driveshaft! The first thing that I would do if I bought that car would be to remove that steering wheel. That was one of Pontiacs ugliest ones, just my opinion though.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Wow I hadn't even noticed the steering wheel. Yea one of Pontiacs steering wheels with the T in the middle would look good and or with the actual wood wheel to match the dash would look bad arse.

smf

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2011
I know this thread is old but I paid 10,000 for mine almost 2 years ago. Same year, same motor same everything except color. It is just as clean as yours and has just under 30,000miles

jamon8

Greasemonkey
Jan 31, 2008
southern IL
I think that 12k is not totally unreasonable for that car with those miles.

someone who loves the grand prix as much as we do with money to spend may just want a car like this

I just got done painting my grand prix with a pearl job and when its all put together I want 7-8k and it has 89k on it

deso600

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 14, 2012
bro buy what makes you happy that is all i recently bought a gp and im gonna sell it if thats the car you gotta have then do it talk them down though maybe like 8 or 9 theyll take it

Attachments

• IMG552.jpg
    IMG552.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 495
  • IMG555.jpg
    IMG555.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 502

Curless

Apprentice
Jul 10, 2012
Grand Rapids
I just recently purchased an 86 Cutlass with 36,000 original miles, your pics could be mistaken for my car! I'd say your mileage is exactly right. Your exhaust is correct, the seam on the bottom is exactly like mine. You will however find that the exhaust will more than likely need replaced if you intend to drive it, ours literally made it 3 miles once it was up to temp it came apart at the seem. As for the money, I got a ridiculous deal on my Cutlass, but I'd say retail it would be fine. On the other hand I'd say $8,000 to $10,000 would be more like it. Do understand that I am talking about U.S. dollars. Good luck, I hope you snag it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor