1986 MCSS: Turbocharged LT1 Project w/pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

406monte

Apprentice
Jan 24, 2009
Quantico, VA
What color are you going with this monte? I like that shop that you are working in i wish that i had a shop like that my car would be totally stripped and completely redone from the frame up. I am also a bodyman and would love to paint my car but have no resources to do it now. I miss painting cars. Let us no the color.

I agree that it is all in the prep of the car prior to paint.

phaZe

Greasemonkey
Aug 16, 2008
dan2286 said:
There is always the turbo 3800 Series II engines. :D I have only seen one person on this forum with that.

What's so great about the Series II? Just the lower number of computers compared to the Series III?

The Series III motors include many changes. The upper intake manifold is now aluminum on the naturally aspirated models. Intake ports are mildy improved, 1.83" intake valves (instead of 1.80" as on Series II) and 1.52" exhaust valves were introduced in 2003 engines, just before switching to Series III. Electronic throttle control is added to all versions, as is returnless fuel injection. Stronger powdered metal sinter forged connecting rods are used in 2004+ supercharged, and 2005+ naturally aspirated engines, instead of the cast iron style from Series II engines. Emissions are also reduced. In 2005, it was the first gasoline engine in the industry to attain SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle).

Plus, the Supercharged Series III will pull almost 280hp with the stock intake. Throw a ram air intake in and it will likely go over 300.

DeboDaddy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
406monte said:
What color are you going with this monte? I like that shop that you are working in i wish that i had a shop like that my car would be totally stripped and completely redone from the frame up. I am also a bodyman and would love to paint my car but have no resources to do it now. I miss painting cars. Let us no the color.

I agree that it is all in the prep of the car prior to paint.

Yea the shop is my Dad's. Its very nice to have, especially when its as cold out as it has been lately...

I've narrowed my paint down to 2. Its either going to be Medium Spiral Gray Metallic (One of the C5 Corvette paint options), or Mini Cooper Dark Silver Metallic. And its going to have Black stripes down the hood and trunk as well.

**UPDATE**

I've got the Lt1 torn down to the short block, I've got my cam, lifters, pushrods, screw-in-studs, guideplates, roller rockers, valvesprings, walbro 255 fuel pump, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, a/c delete pulley, headers, egr block-off plates, aluminum radiator, and electric fan in.

I decided to go with a standalone wiring system. I guess you could say i chickened out, and decided that doing all the wiring and splicing into the factory harness would be too much of a PITA for me.

I've been really busy with school and work, but I'll try and get some updated pics sometime this week. :wink:

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
This could turn interesting! ;) Subscribeded :D

DeboDaddy said:
you dont see many turbo LT1 Monte's driving around do you? :lol:

Then all you'd need is one of those turbo Monte hood bulges ;)

81monte.jpg

DeboDaddy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
So I havent had much time to do much, but I have been buying alot of stuff! :lol:

I decided to go with a built 350 turbo trans, bcuz this whole project went from a pro-tour street car, to a drag car/weekend cruiser.

I also got ahold of a Grand National 8.5" posi rear end, and put 3.73 gears in it. Now I'm doing the engine bay, putting the engine back together, and putting new carpet in the interior.

I decided to get rid of my heater/ac box for weight and room under the hood. I made a plate for the firewall and i cant believe how bare it looks. I did keep everything so I can put the heat back in it if I ever decide to drive it when its cold out. :)

Below are just a couple pics to show u guys I havent forgot, I've just been busy with school.

IMG00034.jpg

IMG00029.jpg

IMG00021.jpg

IMG00033.jpg

IMG00031.jpg

IMG00030.jpg

8T7SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
LT1 engine swap

Progress looks great dude. You are just about where I'm at on mine. I've got the engine torn down and ready to go to the machine shop. I bought some heads off a kid that has a 97 Trans Am and he's doing a LS engine swap and removing the LT1 . Now I got some alluminum ones for my LT1 :). Got my engine from a Cadi Fleetwood. Had Iron heads like the B bodies. Got a new stock grind cam from Melling for the Trans Am motor since I got the heads and PCM from the 97 T/A . B body cams are smaller lift In case you did not know... but sounds like you are going to have a bigger one yet for a drag / cruiser. Using the entire setup for wiring and 4L60E trans also. Having a friend build the trans for me. Maybe I'll start my own thread on my LT1 swap to and 87 SS.
I enjoy this forum alot because we all have the same car. Thanks for posting what you have so far.

jimmyp618

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2009
builds Hey there Debo

Heres mine , this was the 455 that i bought off your dad and redid , and some elco pics its going in .

l_9644e9357d324d56b5cdad2061a992dd.jpg

l_7e30795833164393bf8c1e7d20110e0f.jpg

l_41cdb57c848c43178d255bfd9a21bc07.jpg

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Nice. With pictures. Can't wait for a video now :wink: :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor