1986 monte ss axle options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte ss7

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 19, 2011
Cincinnati Ohio
lookin to upgrade my rear axle but dont know much about others that will fit besides grand national but too hard to get im running a 355 4bolt main with 200r4 build up duels wide tires and 15x12 centerline drag lites i have 3.73 posi right now and would like to know my options on direct fit or little mods please help

You can swap in gm 12 bolts, Ford 8.8 and Ford 9". I know the 9" can be bought ready to run but that will cost. I think currie used to offer a ready to run 12 bolt swap. Just use the search as tiered mire info than I could ever type

All depends on your budget...You could try and grab the highly sought after 8.5 rear from the Olds 442, Grand National and T-Type cars..Or grab a coveted 12 bolt rear from a '66-'72 A Body rear....Or check out Moser engineering as well for a bolt in deal 8)

some Monte SS came with a 7 5/8 carrier which used 28 spline axles. Have you pulled an axle to see how many splines? If your going to upgrade the axles I'd be upgrading the posi to a tru-locker or something similar to get rid of the pinion and side gears. The pinion gears in those posi's are on the small side and they tend to break without too much abuse.

i looked and its the 28 but i was planning on tru lock im going to try and find a 12 bolt i hear its hard but up for the challege i do thanks for the info i hope to be burning both tires soon 8)

you can beef up what you have now for a few hundred bucks. thats what i did. i took the 7 5/8 carrier and 3.73 gears out of an f body. got some g body mosier hardened axles, rear support cover etc for it.

Monte ss7 said:
i looked and its the 28 but i was planning on tru lock im going to try and find a 12 bolt i hear its hard but up for the challege i do thanks for the info i hope to be burning both tires soon 8)

The 12 bolts are hard to find and can cost, I went with a 8.2 10 bolt since it's strong enough for my purpose and less expensive than a 12 bolt. JBrue posted a 68-72 10 bolt he found that was going for $400 and it was a 3.36 posi. I don't think you'll ever find a better deal than that.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31747

i would like the 12 bolt because it has a wider look and i would be able to put my 15x12 without notching the frame ive been lookin and i seen one for 200 bucks and also was planning on re doing everything in time when the moneys rite

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor