1986 monte ss axle options

Status
Not open for further replies.
regardless if they are a 10 bolt or a 12 the chevelle 64-67 are 2.5" wider than a 7.5....68-72 are 4.5" wider than a 7.5

Monte ss7 said:
i would like the 12 bolt because it has a wider look and i would be able to put my 15x12 without notching the frame ive been lookin and i seen one for 200 bucks and also was planning on re doing everything

i hate to burst your bubble but 15x12 wheels will not fit without some serious frame notching, just cause an axle is wider doesnt mean you can stuff in a wider rim, the physical space from fender lip to frame is not any larger

no bubble popped you can fit them without notchin the frame if you get the right offset ive done my homework on that part also the fender to frame isnt a issue im not worried about it because i know it will stick out some not more then 1 and a half inch but that will be just fine for me also with a 4in wider rear axle 2in on each side mean more positive offset so would like to know how and why it wouldnt work :rofl:

you might be able to squeeze a 275 tire in the rear and the widest rim for that size according the the chart is 10.5" A 295 fits an 11" rim. Why do you want to use a 12" wide rim?

i like the look if i have to i would run 15x11 i just like a wider look for the rear also more contact to the road means more tq to road
😀

good luck with getting that rim to fit without notching the frame and good luck to you not ripping chunks out of the tire with it sticking out past the wheel well, you would have to have either a hell of a lift or have no spring/shock compression to drive the wheel well onto the tire at speed

thanks got them on and they fit great and when i burn out full print if you was close i would let you drive it so you would think of doing the same thing :rofl: :blam:

pontiacgp said:
some Monte SS came with a 7 5/8 carrier which used 28 spline axles.

Ya know, i've still yet to see any proof of that. 7 5/8 yes, 28 spline no. GM didn't start using the 28 spline 7.5, 7 5/8, until 89 in other lines, so I don't really see them using it in one car from another line a year or two earlier.

you right about that but the GN used the 28 spline. I know the F bodies had 7 5/8 carriers and some used 26 and some were the 28 spline so who knows..I could be wrong and that would be the second time this year, it's turning into a bad year.. 🙁

it makes you wonder why they bothered to change the 7.5 to a 7 5/8 is they were going to use the 26 spline axles .. :blam:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor